Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I model a siphon and spill-over using EPA swmm

Status
Not open for further replies.

onyeuko

Civil/Environmental
May 5, 2007
IT
I have a combined sewage drainage project in which it has been decided to cross a canal underneath the floor bed(thus using a system of siphon). The project is to convey a media discharge of 7.40l/s and a maximum of 30.0l/s. It is decided to divert any discharge above this figure(30.0l/s) through a short pipe(spill-over) as to discharge into the canal because at this level of discharge(during rainfall), the sewage must have been diluted to the extent that it is safe to discharge into the canal.
I would like to know which object (or how) in EPA SWMM , I can model the siphon and the control system which will allow only up to the discharge of 30.0l/s to flow into the system, as such which will enable me to model the condition under which I can discharge the excess into the canal as spill-over.
Teddy

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I may not be understanding your description correctly. If I am, it seems you could use a hydraulic divider node to split flows over 30 lps. Depending upon the siphon control, you could also include an orifice, pump, or weir in sequence if needed. If I didn't follow you correctly, please post a diagram/graphic to relate what you are describing.

Are you using SWMM5?

Hope that helps...

tsgrue: site engineering, stormwater
management, landscape design, ecosystem
rehabilitation, mathematical simulation

Yes, I am using SWMM5
You understood the first part of the issue(the spill-over) very well, but the siphon part-no. The siphon part is not in series with the spill-over but is included in the system as an undergroud passage as not to disturb flow through the canal. The pipe supplying the sewage, the spill-over pipe and the pipe conveying the sewage(the siphon part) to the treatment plant, all meet in an accumulator(a tank).
Note: I have tried to load the drawing but was not able. Seems the forum does not have facility to load drawing or to send attachment. If there is, please tell me how so that I can load the drawing for you to see
Teddy

For the upload:

1. See the "Attachment" option under the message text box for posts.

2. Try the format listed in "EDITING TIPS" for "To include an image in your post".

3. Check out the following post for step-by-step instructions: "pasting images within a post" at
"Home > Forums > Engineering Computer Programs > General Engineering Programs > CATIA products Forum

Example: Compact Weir Outfall...
CompactWeirOutfall_20070917aa.jpg

tsgrue, try this to see if you can download from the attachment(as in my last upload):
Download the attachment without opening directly from the site but first save on you desktop, document or the like.
After saving, then open the file as saved. I tried it and it worked
Teddy

Okay, I downloaded the file this time. It was rather blurry/lo-res, but I think I could make it out. It would seem you could use a hydraulic divider node to split flows over 30 lps and use an orifice, pump, weir, or some combination of these to model the siphon. remember that these are just modeling elements to mimic the siphon function, so you just want the operating curve to be equivalent to a siphon even if the elements are totally different.

Are you using a siphon due to solids concerns? Could you just have sealed consuits/manholes and drive the with pressure flow? It looks like from your profile that such would work, but I can't make out the head difference across the channel.

Try coming up with a SWMM5 model and then sending me the input file (*.inp).

I am sorry I could not reply much earlier. It is due to work pressure. Yes, I used divider to split the flow over the quantity admissible(revised to 75.0l/s-which is to pass through the siphon)and the excess is to be diverted through a discharge pipe that discharges into the canal. I modelled the whole system but found out that it is either the whole sewage is discharging through the siphon or through the discharge pipe which means that I did not get it right. I am sending the file as modelled with SWMM5 to you as to make a controll. If the file did not correspond with the former one that I sent to you, please do not border as the whole thing including the variations are aimed at the same thing-Modelling the siphon, the divider etc(note that the basic plan and section drawings are same for all cases)
Teddy

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=de51384d-d313-4d84-8780-09d078cee931&file=FognaturediDrove.inp

I looked over your model. You should be able to insert a storage unit and a pump to represent the wet well and siphon. You might need to use control rules for the siphon depending upon the detailed design. Alternately, you could probably define a flow/rating curve for the diversion link (again, depending upon the specific wet well and siphon design). You could also have some other combinations of hydraulic nodes/links as well. I think your basic setup is fine and you'll just need to try out the best options for your particular case. If you get stuck after trying these options, post again and I'll try to help.

I do not follow with your suggestion that I should insert a storage unit and a pump to represent the wet well and siphon. I do not understand how to position them as such will be grateful if you should give me a sketch. I had already concluded the design using manual calculations but I want to learn on how to do it with the soft ware.
Teddy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back