Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how can I prevent slippage on hollow core strands

Status
Not open for further replies.

o4121

Structural
Jan 17, 2009
US
I'm having a slippage problem when I cut my hollow core planks in the form. My stressing machine has been calibrated recently. I do not have contamination on the strands. My brakes on the samples are good, I'm releasing my lines above what I need to. My strengh on the concrete is good. Please help me! Thank you!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Oil or other contaminents on the strand itself? Are they cleaned prior to installation? Slippage is most directly affected by the bond between concrete and strand - I'd look there first.

Depends on various variables:

1. Coating on strands (original or contaminants from the bed)
2. Local strength (sometimes breaks are not representative i.e temperature gradients in the slab)
3. Compaction around the wire.
4. Type of hollow core machine used (some movement in the wire occurs while casting, preventing wire/Concrete adherence).

You will have to isolate each one of them in turn, but it will probably clear up before you find out what it was.

Best wishes from Tarragona (Spain)

Wash your strands with soapy water prior to use so that a light coating of rust appears, (or store out in the rain for a few weeks). Tap the stretched strand to knock of the extra rust and then place concrete. Try for a 5000 psi break before sawing the strands.

If you are making hollow core plank, you must be in a plant that routinely makes that type of product.

If this is true, join or contact the PCI for technical assistance and the manufactured of the extruder (if it is extruded). If it is wet cast, this may not be an option and your best sources would be the strand supplier and the PCI.

It sould not be necessaey to wash and baby strands because of the limitation of the strand supplier to provide a usable product.

When it comes to material specifications, ASTM standards really only guidelines. Even if a material meets the loose ASTM requirements it may not be, it may not be suitable for your situation. Particle size, shape and physical properties are very important and the handling of the aggregate can degrade the properties of some aggregates between the sampling and use locations. Factory operations require far more sophistication, uniformity and quality control than field or ready-mix applications.

Dick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back