Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I translate a CATProduct V5 to V4

Status
Not open for further replies.

rarriaga

Automotive
May 16, 2002
MX
Hi everybody,

I have no enough experince with Catia V5, I'm still learning, so I need to translate an assembly (CATProduct) to CAtia V4. Does somebody know how can I do that??

thanks all!

bold

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,

In CATIA V4 you can read SESSION and model. Unless your admin set up V4 to be able to read V5 file...

So let say you need to convert a CATProduct into a SESSION.

While working with your CATProduct just go :File/Save as and select SESSION in the pulldown list.

But that is not enough, you need to be able to read that session in V4, and because the complete path is saved into the session file you need to make it compatible with V4.

That's why you need do define DLNAME in V5 and save your session using the DLNAME.

Read the Online doc or ask your CATIA V4 admin about DLNAME.

If you work with R12 (or more) everything should be fine but if you don't and have a .model (V4) in your CATProduct then the V4 file will not be saved into the DLNAME in which you save your session.

note also that V5 will convert CATPart into model while saving the session.

Hope it will help you...

Eric N.

catiav5@softhome.net

Hi,

There is a small problem with translation. Your models within the session will be written into volume format and can not be rework within v4. This tranlation is only good for viewing and it also depends on the quality settings in v4 enviroment.

Hi all :)

FLYT50 mentioned that models within the session will be written into volume format and can not be rework within V4. Pardon my ignorance but what is volume format and does 'not be rework wihtin V4' as you say only good for viewing mean there is absolutely no way to bring a V5 file into V4 for editing. I am going to be trained on V5 soon but I have been using V4 for more than a year so I am fairly familiar with somethings.

I know a client would like us to bring some work from V5 back into V4 (don't know why) and do some work on it. I know if I had the choice I would do the work in V5 myself.

Any advice or tips in this area would be most welcome.

[smile]

Best Regards

Dave

Hi,

The solide in V4 will be made from a VOL... Plenty of faces and surfaces...

The only way to change the geometry will be to use surface tools, not solid. But you can add solid features (ie filets, split, cylinder, cuboid...) to your geometry...

Have fun

Eric N.

catiav5@softhome.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back