Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I use a variable acceleration to define a hydrostatic pressure inside a tank in ANSYS WB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoberCR

Mechanical
Dec 6, 2020
ES
Hi everybody,

I'm a mechanical engineer trying to simulate with ANSYS WB (time history transient analysis) a water tank that is resiliently mounted over the ground, let's say, the tank is supported by springs. This tank is filled with water so I want to simulate the hydrostatic pressure inside the tank. The thing is that the acceleration that is affecting to the entire system is really big (this is shock high impact simulation) and highly time dependent and the hydrostatic pressure is far from being constant.

Is there way to use a variable input acceleration with the hydrostatic pressure?. If this is not possible, is it possible to do that with a pressure (not hydrostactic)?. It must be noted that the acceleration that is causing the hydrostatic pressure is not the previously know input acceleation and it's the residual acceleration (after the springs) the one which is causing the hydrostatic pressure inside the tank.

Thanks for reading my post and any help you can provide.

Best regards.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks karachun for your reply.

I think I can know an approximation of the residual acceleration above the springs (using the software of the manufacturer of the springs which performs some ridig body calculations) and so, I could define the pressure using a equation dependent on the height of the fluid and the expected input acceleration. However, if I want to use the hydrostatic pressure load available in WB, is there any way to use the input acceleration (tabular data time dependent) instead of using a constant acceleration?.

Thanks and kind regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back