Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can the material impact test temperature be set in PVElite 2017 ? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

VesselFred

Mechanical
Jul 26, 2017
NL
Dear All,

I have executed a calculation of a Torospherical head with a blinded welding neck nozzle (Pdesign=1,1 MPa, Tdesign =160 oC) in PVElite 2017.
However the head (SA-516 70) and nozzle (SA-350 LF2) have a calculated MDMT of resp. -6 oC and -29 oC, while -46 oC is required.
These parts are impact tested and I want to enter that in the program so they are exempted of the MDMT check resulting in below warning:

Required Minimum Design Metal Temperature -46 °C
Warmest Computed Minimum Design Metal Temperature -6 °C

I have tried to enter the material impact test temperature in the configuration dialog box but it only shows me the components and no place where I can enter the temperature.

What am I doing wrong ? or am I trying to enter the material impact test temperature in the wrong dialog box ?

Does anyone know ?

Best regards
VesselFred

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Vessel Fred

Sorry for the delay.

To set the material on Impact Test on PV Elite, all you have to do is

--> While selecting material there are 3 dots besides its selection.
--> Go for "If normalized or quenched and tempered option" so that your material gets shift to curve D
--> Check the box at the bottom "Has this material been impact tested?"

and there you are with material been impact tested.

Regards

Hi Mechanical Gau,

Got it and many thanks for that.

What I also need to include as an impact tested material is the reinforcement pad I use for the nozzle.
Where can I indicate that the pad I use (made of SA516-70)is also impact tested ?

If I don't do this I will get a warning that the Computed overall MDMT was higher than the required value !

Appreciate your answer on this one.

Best regards

VesselFred

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back