Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

How can we check if or not the fire pump is UL listed/FM approved?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TAGE

Mechanical
Feb 24, 2003
TH
Dear Sir

If we have the model of fire pump and its controller, how can we make sure that these models are UL listed/ FM approved?

Is there any source on the internet to prove it?

Thanks in advance for your kind advice.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Normally if the fire pump controller is UL and / or FM approved there will be stickers to this effect somewhere in the cabinet. In order to be allowed to place these stickers in the cabinet, the manufacturer has to go through a lengthy test and verification process including witness testing by these organizations. Afterwards, during the production process, the manufacturers are subject to periodic (typically every 3 - 6 months) inspections to verify that they are building what has been documented and approved.

If you are looking for proof above and beyond this, you could try contacting either the manufacturer or UL and FM directly and give them the model information.

Note in certain installations and under certain circumstances, it is NOT required to have UL and or FM approval. In which case, the controllers may not be marked as such, but are most likely the same as ones that are approved.

Out of curiosity, what manufacturer and model are you referring to in this case and what is giving you cause for concern?

Noway2, Thank you so much for your kind advice, because I have the book of "Fire Protection Equipment Directory 2000" from UL lnc. on hand right now and even try

However I couldn't find the models of the fire pressure water pressure maintenance pump (jockey)nor fire pump controllers indicated on the mentioned book and Then I asked for the supporting document from pump manufacture, he said his pumps and their controllers were UL/FM approved. That's way my concern is coming!

The pump and controller manufacture are listed below

Jockey pump (Aurora) Model A392-13 (10 gpm)
Main fire pump controller A/C moter-driven fire pump Model no. FTA1000-AM250BZ (Firetrol)

and diesel engine-driven fire pump model no. Model FTA1100-JL12N (Firetrol)

I think there will be no mean to ask manufacuture again since he already confirmed. The answer will remain unchanged.

Thanks again for your concern : )

Without pulling up specific details on those models, I would say that you are near 100% safe in assuming that they are UL/FM listed.

I know that both Aurora and Firetrol are a couple of the bigger pump and controller suppliers for fire pump applications and I know that Firetrol's FTA line of controllers are UL/FM approved.

If you had gone with an 'off' brand, then you might have reason to be concerned, but I wouldn't worry with the equipment you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back