Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

How can we weld a clad material to inconel 625?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mirhosseini

Industrial
Dec 4, 2003
IR
Hi to all !
this is my first question!!

We want to weld API 5X, clading by Inconel, to Inconel 625 and used filler metal is Er NiCrMo3.
We have a PQR for Inconel to Inconel and used filler metal is Er NiCrMo3.
I think if I have a PQR for API 5X to API 5X with used filler metal Er NiCrMo3, then I can cover my WPS with these two PQRs. Am i Right? if not please tell me how we can cover my WPS.
If, howeve, these two Cover my WPS is there another methode that I cover my WPS?

Thanks

Regards
H.Mirhosseini

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Which is your reference Code. Dose it refer to ASME sec IX or does it have its own guideline for PQRs.

Incase the reference is made to Sec IX then you need to take a look at QW424.

My suggestion, do an one to one qualification, that is take the same combination and carry out testing. I think you need to be careful about the thickness range aswell.

Tanks a lot bmoorthy

The refrence is ASME Sec IX.
I want to know according QW-403.5 ASME Sec IX (when the PQR need impact test) can I run a new PQR for API5l to API 5l with same filler metal and support my WPS (Inconel 625 to API5l clad) whit these two PQRs?

tanks

Regards
H.Mirhosseini

I am clear as regards the configuration of the joint you are dealing with. As i figure out you have a Clad (CS +Inconel) Component to be welded to an Inconel Component. (Assuming the component to be most likely a Pipe)

This situation does have some complication when we do hair splitting.

First of all, the job weld sequence is not known to me. If i were to reduce the number of PQR's i would apply Inconel weld deposit on the weld edge of the clad component(Since you have a Clad Pipe, it automatically goes you may have overlay procedure), then subsequently i would weld the Inconel component to the (Inconel deposited weld edge) CS component thus welding a Butt joint between Inconel and Inconel.

In the above situation, you need to have procedure for Overlay and Butt between Inconel Components.

If you are constrained with Impaact requirements (Normally Impact tests are not called for Inconel components) then you need to perform One to One Qualification (That is identical combination) in order to have Impact done on the CS portion of HAZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back