Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How common is 4-10 schedule in US?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crusader911

Mechanical
Nov 22, 2006
US
At our facility, we are allowed the option of working four 10-hour days and being off on Friday. Our company was sold to a much larger company that works a regular 5-8 schedule. We are continuing our schedule for now, but I was just wondering how common the 4-10 schedule is at other companies.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

4-10's would be a dream for me. My normal schedule is 40 to 50 hours, Monday through Friday and on-call on weekends and holidays. Usually end up working a lot of weekends throughout the year.

At a previous job, we worked 4-10s. I took Wednesday off. That solved the Friday coverage problem.

Then we got busy and went to 6-10s, but that is a completely different problem.

During the VN war, I worked overtime in an aero plant. We did regular 10-12 hrs five days and half day on Sat. In that kind of schedule you will find yourself pacing yourself so that you have energy left at the end of the day. Saturday was all coffee and donuts and BS sessions.

I have been able to work smarter and more efficient in an 8 hr day, five days. Proponents of the four day week find opposition from those who want to carry out the usual business and contacts on Fri.

I don't like 4 10's at all. I work 7-3:30 M-F, and it's great. I have plenty of time with the family everyday after work, and also have my weekends. Leaving at 5:30 everyday seems to cut short 4 days in exchange for 1 day off. I'm hourly and don't mind overtime, but I want to be making that premium after 8 hours not 10.

When I was an engineering intern one of my jobs was 7am to 3pm and that was the best. I lived only a few miles from the plant and was home everyday by 330pm. Now I am lucky to get home and be settled by 6pm.

Starting to wish that we had a 4-10 week seeing as by the time I hit the bed Monday night that I already had in over 15hrs in for the week (counting time that I put in on Sunday).

I used to work 4-10's 4 miles from my house. I was in heaven, rode my bike into work every day, felt like I could work there forever... unfortunately the employer didn't have those same feelings. My days were shorter than other companies where I'd worked 8's or 9's with a long commute and a required hour lunch. I'm back on 5-8's. It's been almost a year and I find myself taking a friday off somewhat randomly once a month. It's amazing what a 3 day weekend can do for burnout relief. 9/80's is probably my favorite schedule. 10's are long days and with a commute could really wear you down. For customer issues a mon-thu and tue-fri 4/10 break down worked really well. Also staying in contact was required, but rarely needed.
-Nate

We have the 4-10 work schedule, but this so-called "benefit" is really a management scam to get uncompensated overtime. It is an unwritten rule around here that salaried employees are supposed to work at least a half day on Fridays. Some managers walk around their departments every Friday and keep a tally of who is in the office and who is not. I try to take at least every other Friday off. I don't play the overtime for the sake of overtime game.

While it is nice to have a three day weekend, ten hours can be an awful long time, especially when things are kind of slow. Nothing worse than having been in the office for six hours and looking at the clock and realizing you still have four hours to go!

The other way we get a little screwed with the 4-10 is that new employees only get 8 vacation days, instead of the two weeks most get in a 5-8 job. When the company went from 5-8 to 4-10 the vacation policy was changed from "two weeks" to "80 hours", hence the 8 vacation days. After five years, employees get 120 hours, or 12 days.

Yeah, spongebob, while the '2 weeks' that most folks in the US get (at least initially) is a be meager however you look at it, I don't see that rating it in hours, as my place does too, makes it any worse.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

you mean 5-10 + 5hrs Sat. is not normal?
I plan on working of first 40hr week and I am taking a full hour for lunch. I even took time to brows eng-tips!!!

spongebob. Where are you that you get 8 days of vacation? I would love 8 days of vacation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back