Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how dangerous are the fiber lasers? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

krugtech

Industrial
Feb 3, 2010
US
My concern is this. Many of my customers are running 4kw machines with little or no protection. Their attitude is they're using 4kw, why would they need to be concerned with say a 2kw fiber laser?

Chris Krug

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Somewhere there are people using class 1 fiber lasers in the kw range, I was really hoping some of them would comment here. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens as they become more popular.

Most of the older CO2 lasers in the kw range had a completely open cutting area. The only thing between the operator and the cutting process was whatever the operator was wearing. This has been going on for decades with little incident. How does this compare to some of the more dangerous wavelengths that are becoming more popular?

Chris Krug

That is a good question. Fiber lasers are way more dangerous than CO2 due to their wavelength. Radiation to your eye will cause instant blindness. There's been already one case of blindness from an IPG technician. That is why machines have to be completely enclosed. Seems like blindness is the main issue. Interestingly, the ICRC allows you to kill your enemy at war, but causing blindness is illegal -->
But there is more than blindness. When a CO2 laser reaches your skin, you will feel it right away and will have the natural reflect to pull away. I've seen some service engineers get burnt by CO2 laser, it leaves a nasty burn, but it's only on surface. With a fiber laser, the radiation penetrates through your skin. By the time you feel the heat, the internal damage is way too serious. There has also been a case of arm amputation. Again, this incident was not caused on a production machine, but during resonator assembly and testing at factory.
As long as the machine is completely enclosed, there is no danger for the operator. Seems like technicians and service people will be the ones having to really watch for safety; no shortcuts allowed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back