Status
Not open for further replies.

Petroleum_engineer

Petroleum
Sep 18, 2023
RO
Hello Everybody,

Nice to talk with you all.

First of all, I apologize if I upset anyone with this post.

I am 29 yo, Eastern European and I am a petroleum engineer , activated mostly on drilling side within major Oil and Gas Service company.

I am Gay and I am in closet (conservative country).

In these years of work, I had the chance to work in the Middle East as well for short assigments: KSA and UAE. As a gay person, I am mad that I am eager to find something permanently in those countries? Would like to hear your honest advise.

PS: Actually, 2 months ago I declined an offer for UAE as I had second thoughts and somehow got infuenced by people around me. So now I am full of remorse and regrets. If anybody can guide me or give me any advise in finding other opportunities, I will appreciate very much your help and support.

PS2: As a petroleum engineer I find very difficult to make friends from same industry, so whoever wants …we can connect and discuss further.

TIA

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Because maybe the personal issue should be of greater importance? I appreciate that people resonate with this topic and somehow it seems normal to me.

I apologized from the beginning for creating this topic. I think that in life it is very useful to communicate about this aspect, especially since I was referring to professional life vs personal life. In fact, I asked for advice and people were very kind to share their opinion with me.

In life, many times when we don't like something, we can "skip" without problems.

Why do we have to be so mean to each other?

There are forums where these sorts of questions get asked more frequently (How to improve myself is one), but the odd one or two in the engineering sections, especially in a bit of a backwater forum is fine by me. Sometimes no response is the best solution. IMHO.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

[yoda] Is not rejection easier than understanding.
If it wasn't LBGT, he'd find something else. It's your life. He doesn't get a say in it.

BTW I still count more friends than foes.

--Einstein gave the same test to students every year. When asked why he would do something like that, "Because the answers had changed."

@Petroleum_engineer 1503-44
Who cares you. Who cares your gender of whatever. Stop being egoist and think about yourself.

The core of my issue is the discussion above is ideal and this is the perfect example how a topic should be started, developed and finished.

Inside every of us a partner, parent, child, engineer etc. fight each other for space. And the only way to provide some kind of ceasefire is to allocate locations where one of parties dominates.

I bring my kid to a playground. He/she is playing, I am sitting at a bench. I am surrounded by parents and kids looking the same as me do. Adults look bored and pay a little attention to playground. Their thoughts are far away, their words imprecise, they read what is happening at playground incorrectly or incompletely.

And one time one of the parents starts discussion pros and cons of ASME VIII div. 1 vs div. 2, or API pumps vs ASME, or whatever similar. All parents other than me become excited, run together and start discussing this issue. And theirs thought become accurate and insightful, words diverse and comprehensive, they listen carefully and reply correctly.

What have happened? Are those people at office or playground? Are they parents or engineers babysitting as part-time job after an office? Why when one saying: "Back to playground. That's not why you got here" they reply that "shhhh", "you reject us", "professional life is more important than personal", and "sometimes no response is the best solution"?

Is such situation normal? Not

I have 2 question:
(1) What will newcomers think such playground is worth spending time?
(2) What am I doing in the midst of these people?

shhhh - #*&, no. This is a public place where everyone is equal.
[1503-44] you reject us - who cares our private life.
[Petroleum_engineer] professional life is more important than personal (or contra versa) - Amen, brother. But others came here for not this reason, right?
[LittleInch] sometimes no response is the best solution - #*&, no. If you are concerned about this business/people/place you should react. Otherwise you are bystander, not a community. Wait a minute... or I am not a part of... ?

I have no skills as a politician or media person and less in English. Hope the idea above is clear.

@shvet
Sorry but I don't agree with what you wrote.

We live in a free world where everyone can express their opinion (which you did).

Everyone, regardless of sexuality, race, etc., has a place among others, whether you like it or not.

I thought that the world has a healthier mentality, is more open, but it seems that there are still people who consider this topic taboo (sadly)

It is a forum in which I can afford and I ASSUMED to write such a topic. At the risk of being ridiculed and criticized, I did it, because what do you think??? it is a topic of interest to me. If it really bothers you, in the future I would recommend you to be more understanding and not throw hate at the first.

Hope all it's clear .

PS: I am glad, however, that there are still understanding people like the ones above which gave me legit advises related to my topic and shared their honest opinions with me without showing any any hate. This proves to me once again that the world is not completely "lost".[smile]

Shvet, frankly your analogy didn't make an ounce of sense to me.
But anyway...
Even though some of us may disagree with you, nobody suggested that you do not participate,

My gentle advice is, take it or leave it. You can participate, or not, in any thread you chose. If you are not interested in the topic, you can ignore it and quietly move on to the next thread, or voice your opinion and accept the conquences, whatever they might be. It is best in general to try to contribute positively, rather than claiming anyone is sick and ranting about it. I note that you usually make comments that contribute to the discussion in a positive way, so I would urge you to keep on doing that. I don't know why you got upset. You were warned that this is a sensitive topic. But in a way, it is also good that you spoke out. We wouldn't want our new Petroleum_Engineer to get the wrong message and think the petroleum field is 100% wine and roses. So yes, your message was clear. He will face adversity. Just next time try to express your ideas in a positive manner. No need to be rude.

The world is a big box of colours. Much more interesting than one boring, little black crayola. Enjoy the diversity.

BTW Your playground must be a strange place. Tell us more about that.

--Einstein gave the same test to students every year. When asked why he would do something like that, "Because the answers had changed."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back