Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

How do I add a generic mass to a Solidworks part?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oharag11

Mechanical
Jun 18, 2015
US
So I modeled a block and want to add this to an assembly. This block represents a very complex system so I just want to represent the overall height/width & depth of the system. I know the weight of the complex system and I would like to "fudge" or apply this weight to this block. How do I do this in SW? I can add Materials from SW DB - can I save this as a custom material - and then fudge the material properties? So I used to use NX - and there was a way to apply a weight to any object. We would do this for complex systems (i.e. Lens for a camera). This would help us obtain overall top level system weights.

I search the webs and really didn't find anything. That's why I come here.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I created a custom material - I can fiddle with density to achieve a mass of this block - but it's cumbersome. If the dimensions of the block change - the mass will change - and I will have to fiddle with density again and again. I just want to type in a mass.

I ended up fudging density knowing the final mass of the part. Still not intuitive. I should be able to right click and assign a weight to any component.

Oh BTW I'm on SW 2023 SP3.0

moon161

Thanks that's the answer I needed. I search high and low - within SW Help and online. Straight forward enough, and exactly how I expected this too work.

Ctopher - that is exactly what I did - created my own material and fudged density.

Thanks for the help Team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back