Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I convert 2D point to a 3D point?

Status
Not open for further replies.

simonrr

Civil/Environmental
Oct 17, 2002
US
Does anyone know how to change a group of 2D points to 3D points without editing each one????

Every point in my drawing has an elevation of 0.00. I need the Z value to equal the exising topographical elevation. Does anyone know how to do this???

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If points are a standard block (not a proxy entity), and the elevation is one of the attributes, you could use a lisp routine to change the elevation of each point to equal the attribute elevation. I could help with a routine if you'd like, send me a drawing of a point to "cab 'at' eeiteam.com" (leave out spaces).

The points are not a standard block. They have been inserted from a point group file that we have created from our field work. We have found a way to change the elevations globally of the marker associated with the elevation. However, the text does not change and remains having a Z value equal to 0.00.

We have created a point group file using COGO. We are having a hard time importing the points 3-dimensionally into the drawing.

Is a lisp routine you referred to a standard program available with the Autocad program or is it something created by the individual?

Thanks.

The lisp routine is created by the user, to automate the process. I can't tell from your description if you are trying to change an attribute, text, or the actual z value of a point group. I could assist you to either 1) insert a point group properly from as ascii file with information (with a lisp routine), or 2) after point created improperly, modify the points to correctly show/be at the proper elevation. I would need to look at a drawing of your "point group" to do this, or to look at your input text file to help on the import process.

What cogo program are you using? You should be able to specify output as 2d or 3d. You could out put an ascii file with x,y,z coordinates and read it into autocad with a freeware lisp routine. However most cogo programs will allow you to export a dxf file, many require you to specify 2d or 3d, a fact I learned the hard way. Most data recorders will also output to a user defined asscii file that can be read into autocad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back