Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I create a hole coincident to a plane (CATIA V5)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KisseKattUtanHatt

Mechanical
Jul 17, 2012
DE
Dear all,

I am currently learning CATIA V5 and have encountered a problem that I cannot solve on my own, and my googling attempts keep failing. As the subject indicates, I need to create a hole that is coincident with a user defined plane (see attached figure). I have created all the geometry except from the hole.

I'm just following the steps in lesson 4 in "CATIA V5 Fundamentals" available for students at academy.3ds.com, so if there are better practices to create such a hole, I'm happy to learn about those too.

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
KisseKattUtanHatt

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sorry to confuse you a bit more... but planes are infinite along two axis which are normal to each other.

Therefore a plane does not have a center.

You can either define the center as the part origin which may lay on the plane.. or you may want to project the point onto the plane.

In short, your question is invalid. If I have understood you, you could make a point on the plane you are talking about and along either the H or V axis make the offset 0 and the other value the required offset from part origin.

Hope that makes sense.

PS I teach that dassault material.

Thanks for your reply!

I thought it was kind of strange to create a hole as I described, so I will create a hole as I please instead. Then I am sure it will be a straight-forward process. It is probably me that misunderstood what they meant and/or missing some major piece of information.

Best regards,
KisseKattUtanHatt

Hi Loki3000,

Sorry for the delayed response, define what you mean by "V5 Structure Editor"?! Either I have misunderstood or I am not familiar with this option.

If you are purely talking about V5 to V6, majority of workbenches are essentially the same. Assembly constraints are completely difference, it is called "Engineering connections" in V6.

Engineering connections is essentially like defining kinematic joints in V5.

It's like DS takes these engineering connections to mean as if it's a big thing, but you know SolidWorks has been doing it for ages. So what's up? He he

it's for fastener design and asm population with them i think. similar to solidworks smart fasteners.

bump for amitpatel - i meant structure design SR1 in v5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back