Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I create a surface out of this geometry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimpan

Mechanical
May 30, 2008
SE
I'm new to surfacing and trying to figure out how the bluesurf command works.

I'm trying to make a beveled surface that follow the lines in this geometry:

1-1.jpg

top.jpg

side.jpg

I can't figure out how to use bluesurf when I have a closed "circle".

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Kimpan,
Post your .prt file.
Best regrards.

MERMET Sebastien
Mecanical & Product Designer
SolidEdge ST2 & Unigraphics NX4 & 6
Dell precision 490 & Dell precision M6300

I can't output into IGES, it says "this file contains no bodies"

Basically I want to know how to make a round concave surface that follows a series of guidelines.

Try the Options button on the Save As dialog - there may be settings that are not set to output wire-frame geometry.

bc.
2.4GHz Core2 Quad, 4GB RAM,
Quadro FX4600.

Where would we be without sat-nav?

You are going to struggle to get a really smooth surface but there are a couple of ways.
First way would be to split the base priile at each of the 4 points you have shown.
Then split the 2 other curves where they intersect at the top.
You can then create surface using the 'Surface by Boudary' command.
Another way would be to split the base curve at 2 points - ie. at each end of the curve that you haven't shown a true view on. The one you have shown as a true view will be the path curve.
Then use the Blue Surf command using 3 cross-sections and one path curve.
You would define the cross sections in the order first base curve, cross curve, other base curve.
I will try and post an example tomorrow.

bc.
Quadro FX4600.

Since I couldn't export wireframes in the IGES format I just made a protrusion out of each sketch. Beachcomber, thanks for your efforts! If you want, could you take a look at the iges file I attach here and see if it is possible to make a surface out of that kind of geometry? An enclosed base with multiple crossing guidelines (3 in this case).

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=75356b8b-e419-4a0c-8bb8-f2f4c26f9df3&file=surftesting.igs
Good morning everyone.

Kind of a slow morning so I had some time to play around with this. Attached is the surface I managed to come up with (in .igs and .par). I used the derived curve command to place the curves and then created three blue surfs which used the appropriate transverse curve as a guide. Then stitched the whole thing together.

There are options in the blue surf command to control the beginning and end of the surfaces (normal to or parallel to) so with a little effort you may be able to tweak the appearance.

Does this help?

Jason

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=57487914-ffb6-42dc-b02b-a557bfff8315&file=surftesting-jjengel.par
Thanks for that jjengel.
I thought there would be a simple way to create surfaces like this but I guess you have to devide the whole thing into separate surfaces. This should be quite cumbersome when dealing with many guidelines.

I am looking to model the inside surface (in contact with the head) of a bicycle helmet where I start with the iges file of a helmet. I think it will be quite time consuming if I have a lot of guidelines.

Do you guys have any recommendations for how I could do this in a simpler way maybe?

Maybe I'm missing something, but given the geometry you're starting with I don't see any easier way to accomplish this task. But my SE surfacing skills haven't gotten a lot of use (ever).

You could always pattern a curve along another curve and then just create a blue surf using each occurance. It would be quicker, but I don't see a good way of doing it given the current curve set. Seems like it would better suited to a symmetric part.

Attached part file containing BlueSurf.
I have used simple curves here.
The Cross-section curves are the base profile and a Point at the top intersection.
The path curves are the 4 curves joining the base to the top point.

Hope this helps.

bc.
Quadro FX4600.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=dea43e92-aa77-40a7-98d0-2ab1a77674fb&file=Surface1.par
Thx beachcomber, that works great when having 2 intersecting curves. Do you know if it's possible to add more intersecting curves to be able to define the shape of the surface more?
I tried your method out but as soon as I try to apply more than those two guide curves I get an error like:

"The selected geometry does not touch all the cross sections and therefore is not valid. Each guide curve must touch all of the selected guide curves."

1-2.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

In my example you would create additional cross-sections that are on a parallel plane to the base profile.
The guide curves would then also have to intersect with this cross-section.
Additional guide curves can be created but again they must intersect the cross curves.
I suppose any path curve lying on an angled plane or even not planar would be OK.
What you are trying to achieve is a set of 'slices' for the cross-sections and they don't really have to be exactly parallel slices.
What you have shown is not acceptable because your 2 additional curves do not intersect the top point.
If you have a set of curves forming a mesh (similar to what your 2 additional curves are doing) you could always create more cross-sections by joining the mesh intesection points.
I'll try and add some into the example.

bc.
Quadro FX4600.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back