Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

How do I draw 3d pipes/ducting in autocad 2002

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnhay

Electrical
Jun 3, 2004
GB
I am struggling to draw 3d pipes in autocad 2002. Has anyone got advice on how to actually do this?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Honestly I would probably avoid it in plain AutoCAD since you have limited editing ability after the pipes are modeled. I would stick with isometrics which you can accomplish by setting your snap from rectangular to iso. But since you asked...

I think using sweeps would work best. Basically you draw a polyline to represent the path, fillet your corners to have the correct radius for the size pipe you are using. After that you basically draw a profile (circle in this case) to sweep along the path. Look up "sweep" in help if you need a little help with the command.

It's been a while since I did this, but I believe in AutoCAD it is refered to as "extruding along a path." It's not too difficult, but it does take some getting used to. You may also have to look into the SUBTRACT method for removing material.

You would be better off purchasing a third party program to work inside Autocad. There are several programs avaialble. Mech-Q from Asvic Software seems to work well at a reasonable price.

Mech-Q is fine for what you need. But if you are OK with AutoCAD, you have all explained in Help. Also, look for some LISP files (3Dpipe) on Internet.
Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back