Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

How do I get membrane stresses out of Abaqus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mojojojo69

Marine/Ocean
Mar 7, 2006
US
I've tried the help's linearization steps but I get this error,

Results for all the points along the stress line were not found.

Selected end points and all intermediate sample points must lie within the current display group, and within solid continuum elements. Due to tolerance limitations, intermediate points lying on display group boundaries may fail to meet this criterion. Choose new end points, adjust the number of intervals along the line, or modify the current display group to obtain the stress linearization plot.

So I altered the end points, intervals, and display group. No dice. So I'm wondering if it has to do w/ continuum elements which I've no idea what a continuum element is.

Does anyone know what's happening?

I rather be able to output the membrane stresses and see them as an option the way I can with the Von Mises but I'll settle for just getting output at a select crossection.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

thought I did, I'm trying to get membrane stresses and Abaqus doesn't seem to have this capability w/o some weird method. In Femap I run a script that comes standard w/ the program and viola I've got membrane stresses. With Abaqus I have to create some crossection path only to have a "paper jam" error claiming I don't have all the sample points in the current display group when I clearly do. I don't know why I have to create a path to begin with. I'd prefer to see membrane stresses for all of my surface elements. So to ask a different way, how do I get membrane stresses cause the help ain't helping and what on earth are continuum elements?

So as far as I can tell membrane stresses are only for solid elements. Continuum elements is a very fancy way of saying shells (I'm sure there's a deeper nuance but as far as I can see not much of a practical difference).

So the way I'm trying now is to go to the material and make sure there's several section points.
Then to to the step module and make sure I've turn off the automatic section points and add 1,3,5 to get the top, bottom, and middle cross section point.
Do another run.
Then in the visualization module find the option that allows me to switch to section point 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back