Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how do I import a 2D Autocad Drawing into Catia?

Status
Not open for further replies.

benoitbotton

Mechanical
Sep 29, 2003
GB
I need to transfer an Autocad (2005 or earlier) 2d drawing to a customer who uses Catia V4 or V5(R?). We have tried dwg, dxf, iges step and HPGL. All failed because of the text. it ends up all over the place and not the right size.

Would any body have suggestions?

Thanks

Benoit Botton
Rencol Tolerance Rings

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

will autocad create a cgm? Try turning your text to polylines during or before export. This will ensure that the text comes in the same size. It will be line not text, but should look exactly as you exported and allow your customer to plot it as you saw it.

I have actually found a solution since I posted.

I explode all multiline text until the text is single line. blocks that contain text need to be exploded as well.
use a font which is quite common (ie. arial). save as a dxf. before importing in Catia V5, change the settings for dxf import (tools /options ,DXF tab, text font, define, change default font)so that the default font used by Catia is the font used in the dxf. et voila! you have a Catia drawing.

Benoit Botton
Rencol Tolerance Rings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back