Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how do I make an animated living hinge? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dalamar

Mechanical
Dec 18, 2002
US
I'm new to SolidWorks and am fumbling my way through. My most recent problem is that I need to create 3-d models of plastic living hinges. Is there a way to create a working (animated) living hinge with SolidWorks?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The only way to do this is by using configurations of your part in various positions, or to use a Design Table to drive your sketch of your part.

You could also cheat, and create a 2 part assembly of your hinged part, to simulate a living hinge for "shown-n-tell". "The attempt and not the deed confounds us."

Hello. I am also a new user of SolidWorks and had to animate a hinge. I used the first suggested approach and it work pretty well. Take care as to how you mate the hinge. In addition, you have to mate the hinge in its perpendicular configuration and then insert that into your assemble.

thanx for the ideas ... it was along the lines of what I was thinking. I ended up making the parts in segments and mating them in the center of the living hinge so that I could move them in a manner that made the hinge look as if it was working. not my prefered way but it works.

ô¿ô

that is basically what I did. I cut my part into pieces and then made them into a subassembly, mating them in a way that they could only move in a manner consistant with the living hinge.I then put this subassembly into the main assembly and made a configuration that showed it and a second one that shows it as a solid(no visible cut lines).
the solid version can be used to make the mold while the moving "cut" version is a good visual to show a client how it will move. Thanks for all responses they are appreciated.

ò¿~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back