Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I make solid models look good for our clients?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eng1234

Mechanical
Nov 21, 2003
US
Long time user of Ideas and currently using 10NX, love it. I would like to produce high end looking visual models that our design clients can look at and interpet. I'm able to create jpg, tiff, and VRML files for them to rotate, etc, but would really like to do more. I see the capabilities of Solidworks with Chrome surfaces and reflective glass and wonder if I can do that with Ideas? How about even adding different colors than the standard color wheel?

Thanks,
Todd

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Todd,

I don't know about the photorealistic stuff, but it is pretty simple to create your own colors in I-DEAS.

Options - Color Pallette - Create...then just put in your RGB percentages.

Hope this helps.

Thanks elab,

I was able to find the color cube through the options menu and make a few custome colors. Can you write these extra colors to a default file that can be used for any new model file, or do you need to create new colors in each model file you create.

Still interested in finding out about the photorealistic capabilities of Ideas.

Thanks

It's not photorealistic but the Texture/Decal option under Surface Appearance allows you to apply textures to your model.

It's fairly restrictive in how the textures are applied but will give more "realistic" finishes than solid colours.

When I want actual Photorealistic Renderings I translate my models through 3D Studio Max and work within that system.

RCDLtd,

One more question, where do I find the Texture/decal option. I have checked all options under the shaded image icon and can't find anything?

Thanks

3rd Row, 8 Down "Appearance..."

Select the Icon, select the part or Surface, Enter, and the Surface Appearance window will open.

For Max, Translate your files as STL's. Max doesn't need the surace data.

Hi,
If you are still looking for a easy way to create many different colors with out going through all the color pallets and options go to this website and download a color program file. the file you need is named "color def.prg."
All you need to do is:
1. Download "color def.prg." to any drive on your computer.
2.In IDEAS master modeler go to File>program files>run. then find the directory and program file, click OK and you will have many colors.

Travis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back