Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I move part files to another folder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattSmithHJYIBH

Mechanical
Apr 13, 2010
GB
I have just 2 months experience of Pro E under my belt, hence what may be a daft question.

I have inherited a system where files for each product are stored in their own folders. This extends to common parts like screws and washers, the result is multiple copies of parts.
Initially I plan to have one copy of these common parts in one folder that all the assemblies can reference.

My question is; Is there an easy way to move these files?

There doesn't appear to be a way other than saving a copy to a new folder. I was thinking along the lines of moving the parts with Pro E closed and then locating the files when I open the assemblies again.

Kind Regards

Matt
Wildfire 2 on XP

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would not recommend putting all the models in one folder. Seems to me the person before you understood how to build assembles, etc. I would learn more about your system before possible destroying it. My assembles are within their own folders, I either write my own search path to point my assemble to the “parts” or my search pro will direct as needed.

Petrotrim Services

As far as the actual moving of files, you can just use windoze explorer to cut & past what ever you want where ever you want. Pro/E does not store the relative location of objects. However, you have to tell Pro/E where it can find common objects through search paths.

Multiple copies of the same part name is a recipe for disaster in Pro/E. You need to firmly understand the order in which Pro/E searches for files and how your system specifies search paths, etc. RTFM. Once you understand how everything works, you can attempt to start fixing things. It is going to take a lot of work. I don't recommend dumping everything in one folder but you don't want a separate folder for every object either.

I recommend you goggle findmymother and down load it. You can use it to search Pro/E folders for where objects are used. So if you want to find where the part "bolt" is used it will tell you every assembly and drawing that references it. Then you can carefully put all the extra copies of bolt in a temporary trash folder and test all your assemblies to make sure they still work with the one bolt you decided to keep on the system. If you get failures you can either redefine your assemblies to work with the bolt you kept or restore one of your duplicate bolt objects.

You must be careful though that the duplicate file name objects don't have different features, dimensions, etc. If that is the case you need to rename the duplicates with ALL THE UPPER LEVEL OBJECTS in memory and then save those upper level objects, otherwise they will not find the correct model.

It will be a difficult process but the sooner you start the sooner you will have reliable models. And never duplicate a file name again in Pro/E.

Thanks guys, you have both answered my question, with every solid model system I've used (IDEAS and Solidworks) multiple copies of parts have caused chaos, hence my desire to get one copy in one place.

jbeckhou, I just want the common parts in a specific place, screws, nuts, washers etc.

My aim is reliable assemblies that don't self destruct when parts are modified, but thats another story.

If you want the common parts in one location, you would need to setup a PDM. Otherwise, you would need to keep ALL files (assemblies, drawings, etc.) in just ONE folder.

As you may have already picked up, ProE uses a 'working directory' where it saves all of the files that are a part of an assembly. Without a PDM, if your common components are not in the same location, ProE will not be open the assembly unless you specify the location of the missing components.

I would just keep the parts where they are. I know its a pain, but you would need to make sure that you keep your files names in good order to minimize the hassles.

Good luck.

You don't need a PDM system to run Pro/E. (Intralink is one of PTC's PDM (Product Data Managment) systems). I have been using Pro/E for over 20 years without a PDM system. You just need a logical set of procedures and follow them. I have parts, assemblies, drawings, formats, templates, symboles, etc. spread out over dozens if not hundreds of directories. And they all work all the time.

For instance, in the loadpoint/text/config.pro I have search paths set to common files like fastners. Then we have a procedure that whenever Pro/E is started you change the working directory to the project you are working on and immediately load the config.pro in the working directory. That will set any project specific search paths as well as templates, units, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back