Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I obtain the Stanton Number for a flat plate laminar flow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jason85

Aerospace
Oct 23, 2013
AU
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to confirm some experimental heat transfer data on a flat plate using the Van Driest methods. I'm currently reading through Van Driest's "The Problem of Aerodynamic Heating", where he basically adapts Newton's law of cooling, step by step, to a flat plate heating solution for laminar flow (he does the same for turbulent as well).

Anyway, for the laminar solution he provides a constant recovery factor but doesn't really talk about how he got the Stanton Numbers that are plotted in Figure 6/7/8. He only cites the Eber (1952) paper, which as far as I can tell only really provides some recovery factors, nothing about Stanton numbers. It does however provide Nusselt numbers for cylinders and cones; not really sure if that's relevant.

How else does one use the Van Driest methods for laminar flat plate heating approximations, since Van Driest in his paper only really seems to supply the recovery factor, not the Stanton number (well, he does provide it in Figure 6 but an equation would have been nice!).

Any ideas?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

wasn't this posted before ? i remembered wiki'ing "stanton number". it seems as though your asking for the formulation for the Stanton number ... the wiki article seemed to cover it. i'm sure many BL (and particularly SS BL) texts would cover it too.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back