Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

How do I read a consolidation test report

Status
Not open for further replies.

LearningAlways

Structural
Aug 17, 2014
US
Clearly from the question I am brand new to the field. Please help.

I have a consolidation test report and I need to define the max. past pressure for the soil profile. But how do I do this?

I have the Pc, preconsolidation pressure, which I know to be the max. past pressure but it is only for a single depth in a soil profile. For the program I'm using I need to have at least one more depth and pressure so that it will interpolate the rest of the depths in the profile. I'm assuming that the max. past pressure changes linearly with depth.

For example, for this boring that Pc = 7840 at a depth of 30'.

How can I take this and apply it to the rest of the profile without knowing that rate at which it changes?

My boss is old school; he won't give me any direct help, only clues but he is demanding that this be done tomorrow by 10AM and I am stuck. The last thing he told me was that you don't need to do consolidation to do settlement. I have NO idea how that correlates but here I am, last in the office, trying to figure this out.

Thanks for any help!!!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If I remember correctly from an article I read several years ago, there have been some who belive that the difference of the pc value and existing o/bpressure is relatively constant. How would this jive with your programme?

Pretty well.

It was the quotient of the two, which I found out is the Overconsolidation Ratio, OCR.

It does increase slightly with depth but for my purposes I am assuming it to be constant throughout.

THANKS!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back