Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

how do I recognize that the coil had been e-coated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hollandhvac

Mechanical
Feb 23, 2007
NG
As protective measure against a salt laden area, I have specified the condenser coils to be e-coated.
But I have never seen an e-coated coil before, the question is; how do I recognize that the coil had been e-coated?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

chemical analysis is one way.

However, the point of the coating is protect your coil, so there should be some sort of test that demonstrates that protection, regardless of whether you can see the coating or not.

TTFN

FAQ731-376

First of all, I have zero confidence in any field applied coating, may give you a year longer life than no coating at all.

Factory applied coatings are much better.

It is going to depend on the type of coating being used.

"e-coat" sounds like carrier lingo and a few years back they were coating them with 'electro-fin' and it was black.

"heresite" is a type of phenolic coating that is used it is reddish brown, cannot miss it

"adsil" is a clear coating that is used, so far I like its performance. One way of telling with adsil is there will be a label on it saying adsil or microgaurd certifying that it has been coated and giving warnings about certain cleaning methods not to be used.

So for a definitive method of telling if it is coated or not, talk to the people who make the coating you want used. Is e-coat a generic term or a tradename on your side pof the atlantic.

You must have liked seeing Brazil lose :) good going Team NED

The way we build has a far greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ, than any HVAC system we install

Hello AbbbyNormal,

Yes, it is Carrier lingo and put on the market by Carrier.

I have attached one document I have about E-coating which is the looks the same a ElectroFin E-coating.

When I have to inspect the stuff I will see if it has a black collour or not, but I think it will be blue as they want it to be blue fin treated.

And for football or soccer, I rather had played the Germans in the final... revenge.
having said that, I have German ancestors.

I cannot say I have been impressed with the electro-fin performance

The way we build has a far greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ, than any HVAC system we install

electrofin? problem was a lack of longevity when applied primarily to any carrier product

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back