Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I send the Temporary files to a specific place 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hepkat

Mechanical
Jan 6, 2012
US
Hi Everyone,

I have an odd issue. I'm the TA for a university lab course using SW simulation. The computer lab on campus will only allocate students 150mb of disk space(on the network drive), which causes anything but the simplest models to crash the solver.
Can I force simulation to use a temporary folder on the C: drive instead of their tiny allocation on the H: drive which it seems to be defaulting to?

Thank you,

Justin

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think in Simulation options that is possible. Used to be. But you may have to have students go through this every time.

150mb is almost useless for SW. I have single part files bigger than that. You might look at the SW web site for system requirements and present that to IT and the powers that be. Likely they are not using approved video cards and drivers either.

Typical University policy where I am is to delete all temp files every time someone logs of a PC. I have seen temp files cause corruption of model results, i.e., where they are moved or created on one machine and the model is opened on another.

The students need at least 1 GB each for SW files and they need to run Simulation entirely on the local machine.

CSWP, BSSE
Phenom IIx6 1100T = 8GB = FX1400 = XP64SP2 = SW2009SP3
"Node news is good news."

Right click on the study name once it's created and before running it and select 'properties'. At the bottom of the first (options) tab is a space to choose the path for the results folder, make sure that's on the c:\ drive somewhere. This will have to be changed independantly for every study.

To set a default folder for results, you can go through the pull-down menu simulation>options, switch to the 'Default Options' tab, click on 'Results' on the left and enter the desired location in the Results folder section. You can do the same for 'Report' on the left side too, if your students use the report generating functionality. Changing the location here will have to be done once per user I think, while that user is logged in.

I do not believe this is controllable via part/assy templates.

Just a thought. If you use one of the SWx tools, Copy Settings Wizard for each student and put the resulting file on the desktop that might save those settings. Then the student just has to double click the icon to get all user settings restored. Don't know if this captures Simulation settings thought. Let us know.

CSWP, BSSE
Phenom IIx6 1100T = 8GB = FX1400 = XP64SP2 = SW2009SP3
"Node news is good news."

Thanks for the comments. Is the results folder the location for all the temp files then? I'll give the SWx tools a try too. Maybe I'll bite the bullet and duke it out with the department for more disk space too, ugh!

I'm not sure where temp files, if any, go. I do know that the results files are heavily used during the running of the simulation. I haven't checked if they're just written or read/written, but they're (a) generally large and (b) simulation runs much faster with them on a local drive than a network drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back