Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do you copy properties in configurations 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

69Camaro

Mechanical
Mar 11, 2004
US
When you add a derived configuration, SW doesn't inherit the custom properties. Is there a macro for this. It would be nice if there was a check box when creating a new configuration for "Inherit Properties". This would copy the properties from the active configuration.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are they linked or just copied?

Jason

UG NX2.02.2 on Win2000 SP3
UG NX4.01.0 on Win2000 SP3
SolidWorks 2007 SP3.1 on WinXP SP2

This thread is suffering from a lack of typing. :) I think some of us are talking about slightly different things. Here is SolidWorks behavior as I understand it:

There are two types of custom properties: "document" and "configuration specific". The "document" custom properties are shown on the "Custom" tab, and the "configuration specific" properties are shown on the "Configuration Specific" tab. As a side note, these are stored differently in the file. "Document" properties can be accessed outside SolidWorks just like custom properties of Excel files, etc. "Configuration specific" properties can only be accessed by SolidWorks (or SW Explorer, or swDocumentMgr.dll).

When you link to a custom property, you specify the name of that property. SW first looks to see if a configuration-specific property with that name exists. If so, its value will be used (even if blank). If a configuration-specific property does not exist, SW will check for a "document" custom property of that name and use its value if it exists. This behavior is the same for drawing notes, BOMs, etc.

So, to sum up, any custom property that should be "Inherited" (have the same value for all/multiple configurations) should be specified as a "document" level property. Any links to that property name will retrieve the "document" level property value - regardless of the configuration referenced - unless a "configuration specific" property with the same name exists. If that configuration specific property name exists (even if the value is blank) it will override the "document" level property.

Does any of that make sense? :)

That said, there are a myriad of custom property related macros out there. I'm sure there's probably one that will copy configuration-specific custom properties from one config to another. Have you checked out the resource pages in the FAQ area?

I only use Config Specific properties! This avoids the confusion caused by duplication of properties between Custom & Config.

In Config Specific, the properties are copied and can be changed independently ... they are not linked to any other config.

In Custom, the properties are copied but cannot be changed independently. The property exists for all configs in that document.

69camaro ... If the properties are not being inherited then something is wrong with your setup.

[cheers]
SW07-SP3.1
SW06-SP5.1

I do try to avoid duplication between config-specific and custom. A simple example would be a file for a socket head cap screw. The Description, Manufacturer, etc. are the same for all sizes. Only the part number is different. So the Description and Manufacturer are document level properties and the part number is configuration-specific.

My configuration-specific properties don't automatically propagate when I add a new configuration either.

The properties are configuration specific. There are about 20 of them (part number, rev draw date etc..)that copy when I create a new configuration of a detail part. When I make a new derived configuration of a assembly the properties are empty. I then have to manually add all the properties.

We use the configurations to syncronize our documents.
B/M is the controlling document its a first level configuration. Customer drawing and assembly drawing are derived from the b/m. They are the same parts but use diffrent drawing numbers and subtle title changes. Therefore the wish to copy the configuration properties.

Yes I believe there is a bug in the software. Just looking for a easy work around. This problem existed in SW2006.

I like the excel idea. But was hoping to avoid the spread sheet. Thanks for the idea.

What's needed is a better custom property editor. One that lets you see all configurations and their properties in an editable table format with the ability to copy between them easily. Derived configs should be indented under the parent config and linked to the parent's properties by default.

Jason

UG NX2.02.2 on Win2000 SP3
UG NX4.01.0 on Win2000 SP3
SolidWorks 2007 SP3.1 on WinXP SP2

Can anybody else confirm what I am seeing on my PC?
Both derived and non-derived configs automagically get populated with the active configs properties?

What could be causing some machines to NOT do this?

[cheers]
SW07-SP3.1
SW06-SP5.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back