Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do you create an assembly from anther.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catusr

Automotive
Aug 21, 2001
US
Hi guys,

I'm a new Solidworks user. I'm transitioning to Solidworks from Catia. I was wondering if there is a way to create a new assembly from an existing one and keeping all the links.

My goal is to have a standard asm file and its sub-asm's and drawing files attached. Using that to create new asm by renaming the file and drawing files to new name. I'm having problems with th links. It ref's the old documention and I only want it to see the new one.

For you who know Catia v5. The command sent to directory. The file will go and take it's linked documentation and give you option to rename your files as target name,breaking your links too the old documention.

Thanks Catusr

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can do it with SW Exp per jeff's suggestion, or do it manually. Open all the dwgs, assys, parts that you want to rename. Starting with the parts, rename, select yes to update assy/dwg it's ref on. Do the same to the assys, then the dwg last.

Chris
Systems Analyst, I.S.
SolidWorks 06 4.1/PDMWorks 06
AutoCAD 06
ctopher's home (updated 06-21-06)

You can copy the assembly file, rename it and work from there.

Example:
1) Copy and paste (ctrl-v) "assembly_one.sldasm" file
2) "Copy of assembly_one.sldasm" will appear
3) Rename the new file and then you can work from there while keeping the links.

Keep in mind you must work from the same directory as the old/master assembly otherwise you'll need to relink the entire assembly.

Catusr ...
Check out the Pack and Go function in SW2007. It will create a copy of a project and rename (replace portion of part name) selected components and handles all the component references in one easy dialogue box.

SW Help said:
Gathers all related files for a model design (parts, assemblies, drawings, references, design tables, Design Binder content, PhotoWorks content, and COSMOS results) into a folder or zip file.

[cheers]
Helpful SW websites faq559-520​
How to find answers ... faq559-1091​
SW2006-SP5 Basic ... No PDM​

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back