Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

How do you create pneumatic schematics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

enginerd1959

Industrial
Oct 1, 2002
US
We finally upgraded from SWX 2004 to 2005. I've been playing around with the DWGEditor. I know it's basically Intellicad, which is a knockoff of Autocad. I was hoping for something a little more integrated into SolidWorks.

How do most of you create pneumatic schematics? SWX, DWGEditor or an external program like Autocad or Visio?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you don't want/can't spend money buying another software (Visio can do that, as Bradley said) you can use DWGEDitor.

You can create blocks (cylinders, valves,...) with attributes (part name, part number, technical data,...) and, with a macro, create a BOM (I still didn't figure out completely this last part as the VB it's a little different than Acad).

Regards

Still using the free technical edition of Visio we obtained; which was included with SolidWorks 2001 or 2001+.

Remember...
[navy]"If you don't use your head,[/navy] [idea]
[navy]your going to have to use your feet."[/navy]

We don't deal with pnuematics, but do a lot of work with hydraulics (same animal). We tried using Viso, but found it a bit cumbersome. In the past we used AutoCAD, but since SW05, we have started to use DWGeditor (with the hopes of droping AutoCAD).

[green]"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."[/green]
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943.
Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

When did they ever drop Visio?

Remember...
[navy]"If you don't use your head,[/navy] [idea]
[navy]your going to have to use your feet."[/navy]

I knew they dropped Microsoft Excel BOM support, but not Visio support as I know it. You still can use the Microsoft Excel BOM and I am sure if they ever do away with Visio support we would still be able to use it within our drawings.

Bradley

I don't think SW will drop DWGEditor soon. They are much to eager to make all forget that there's a thing called ACAD.

Still, it's an application on it's own (you can download the installation program), so you can loose support but you've payied for the license to use it.

We are terminating the use of ACAD (legacy drawings)and switching to DWGEditor.

The biggest problem it's the macros conversion (not much help with the API).

Regards

I hear ACAD 2006 is going to look more like SolidWorks 2006. So, I don't DWGEditor is going away. SW will probably improve on it.

Chris
Sr. Mechanical Designer, CAD
SolidWorks 05 SP2.0 / PDMWorks 05
ctopher's home site
FAQ371-376
FAQ559-1100
FAQ559-1091
FAQ559-716

While I have two free copies of VISIO that I got from SW, I also find they still work in drawings as embedded objects. Visio has a good fluid power library and would be a good choice.

I work for a giant faceless bureaucracy. Our Visio software was automatically removed when we upgraded to the next version of SWX. We don't have a lot of say in the CAD software we're given, or how it's configured, but we have good health insurance & get a free tote bag at the company picnic.

Tote bags!? Man, what a cool company. [rednose] We used to get corporate t-shirts for birthdays, but no longer.

[green]"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."[/green]
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943.
Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back