Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

How do you extrude only a part of a sketch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DesignIntent

Mechanical
Jan 7, 2014
US
I have been trying to extrude only one or two lines of a complex sketch and can't seem to prevent the entire sketch (or contours) from being selected.
I have created a large sketch which I use as a master for multiple solids within one part file, similar to what the Pro-E people do.
I do not want to add these individual lines to secondary sketch using "convert entities".
This defeats the purpose of having all the control in one sketch.
Any thoughts?
Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The OP from 19 Apr 18 04:13 looks like request to create single part from different bodies.

The picture from 19 Apr 18 19:47 looks more like attempt to create an assembly.

Either way, the solution may be TO ADD some elements to the sketch to tell SW where your lines start and end (see picture)

Then you simply use your "Select Contour" option.

(I have to experiment more because I suspect simple points may work too)

Edit: No, no luck with points

"For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert"
Arthur C. Clarke Profiles of the future

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=d2a70a59-4d2a-45bf-9e2e-7b1f2dec5495&file=Capture.PNG
Actually, adding additional sketch elements is a very viable approach.
It just takes a little more trial and error to get the right contour separation.

As for the PDM issue...
This array I did was a development/research project created to aid in incorporating all known engineering best practices into the design.
Its kind of like a calculator/spreadsheet.
No need here for revision control since it exists as a living document.
When the results satisfy the application requirements, the appropriate geometry is "pulled off" to be used in the production files that will be supported for the life of the product.
Good question though.

The original post was intentionally narrow in focus.

This is a development tool that acts as a seed for later "real" product.

Thanks again.
I appreciate all the feedback and offers of solutions.

D.I.

drawoh said:
That sounds way more complicated, and I don't think PDM will do it. What it will do is recover the old model after your new person messes it up.

I'm not explaining it well- but PDM easily allows me to restrict a user's access to only a certain set of parts- so this method allows me to restrict someone so they can only edit certain 'features' of a 'part' because those features are actually parts in an assembly, which can be individually restricted.

jgKRI,

If you are working with a SolidWorks assembly, you can keep parts of the assembly read-only. This could solve security issues, or it could just be design intent.

I have now seen two radically different PDM[ ]systems in operation. The really important thing is not the software. It is the user interface worked out by whoever set up the software. If you have not yet installed your PDM, have a long talk with everyone who is going to use it. When someone has work to do, how should they interact with it? You have to do some critical, abstract thinking here. If someone is process driven and narrowly focussed, they will set something up that will be complicated, obfuscated, and that will not solve your problems.

--
JHG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back