Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

How do you guys feel about working for a company that refuses to innovate? 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

junfanbl

Marine/Ocean
Jun 10, 2015
US

So recently I proposed some ideas to my supervisor on how we can improve efficiency using machine learning.

I took some time to build a small machine learning model with some test data so I could provide an example of how the new process would work. Nothing that would function on a large scale. My co-workers thought the idea was good, but they warned me against showing it to my supervisor. Well I didn't listen...

I proposed the idea to my supervisor and mentioned that I made a small scale model to demonstrate how it could work. Well he not only didn't like the idea, but he gave me a hard time about using company time to put together the sample project.

Here is the thing though, he didn't even ask me how it worked, nor did he want to see it in action. He just dismissed the idea with reasoning that what you are trying to do is impossible. Which isn't true. This isn't the first time this has happened though. I often try to be innovative. It's something I'm proud of. However as of late my boss just finds me annoying, which is discouraging to say the least.

At this point I've abondoned all desire to improve anything and I'm starting to feel resentment. Is this a good sign its time to go find a new position?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My personal experience regarding innovation,

I've had one or two projects that I was told in no uncertain terms by the directors of the last company I worked for that they didn't think there was a need for it and to work on something else. This was the sort of place where they did it their way because they had always done it that way, innovation wasn't anywhere to be seen.

I did this one particular project anyway ~90% in my own time because I could see at the very least it would personally save me time and create consistency whilst doing this particular task. Out of the kindness of my own heart I let them use it anyway, and almost overnight after some training about 80% of the companies engineers adopted it. Younger engineers could immediately see the benefits, older ones needed some more encouragement or were resistant, take from that what you will.

If it was used I'd estimate about a 15-30 minute saving doing this particular task, times 30 engineering staff, time once a day at least on average equals quite a bit of time saved. Didn't even get thanked, and one of the directors to this day has never used it, preferring to do it his way despite it taking considerably longer. Can't help some people I guess, good ideas vs wrong people.

After several of these experiences I'd say never directly dispel innovation especially if there is a clear end game. Give people the time to state their case, and give feedback and be prepared to invest time/money into valid ideas. However sometimes it's also a matter of having the correct people working on it or being the ideas engine house behind development. Might be the right idea, but the wrong person wanting to deliver it, younger engineers are usually keen to help but sometimes lack the experience required to see the pitfalls or even see it through to realise the full potential of the development.

Where I work innovation is encouraged in only the very specific areas that have been dictated by upper level management. And I don't work in most of those areas. In the years I have worked here I have attempted to offer insightful ideas and designs to produce the next generation of products that we could offer in the marketplace. And they have been instantly shot down every...single...time. I don't even mention innovation here any more. I no longer care.

Maui

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back