Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how do you make a spreadsheet into pdf 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirtsqueezer

Geotechnical
Jan 29, 2002
US
Just that. I'd like to 'encrypt' my spreadsheet by making it into a file I can sent to a client that I won't worry will be modified. Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The simplest and probably most reliable method is to get Adobe Distiller. There are other freeware and cheaper programs, but there's less assurance of compatibility.

TTFN TTFN

You can also password protect the workbook/worksheet so that it can not be modified. This will, however, not prevent the user from being able to copy the contents to a new workbook. DimensionalSolutions@Core.com
While I welcome e-mail messages, please post all thread activity in these forums for the benefit of all members.

There's a great freeware utility called PDF995. It installs easy and looks just like another printer on your system. If you want to make a PDF, just pick it as your printer, name your PDF file and you're done. They have a suite of PDF tools as well. It's a very nice tool I use it quite a bit. If you don't pay for it, you have to deal with some pop ups when you create a PDF, but that's it. It's very inexpensive to remove the pop ups. I haven't because it's not that bad for me.

Yet another way to achieve what you want to do is
copy the entire file onto the clipboard (ctrl-A,
ctrl-C)
Edit, paste special, values only
Paste into a new spreadsheet
You will get a spreadsheet that has only values (with no formulas). This, I feel, is the simplest way to conceal the workings of your spreadsheet & still give away a soft copy.

Of course this won't prevent someone from changing the file you sent. But THAT you might not be able to ensure, no matter what you do, because there would always be some way for somebody to tamper with your file if they want to.
dgb

Even a .pdf file is not secure, i have seen a program called pdf2txt or simmilar that converts the .pdf back into text in a manner simmilar to the OCR (optical character recognition)software that comes with a scanner.

What's the point of sending a file if it can't be modified? As stated by padlofski, there are many ways to change it without your knowledge. For example, we have turned over mylar plans to a client who then erased things and changed the design and bid the job without our knowledge of the change(s). That client then complained that the project as constructed had design flaws! The problems were a direct result of the unauthorized changes made to the plans. What are you going to do? Sue your client?

1) project archival - just burn a CD and send that

2) If you wish to allow the client to "check your work - just print it out or send a scanned image and include the equations so it can be checked.

3) Always put your stamp or signature on the original printout or on the attached transmittal

4) make sure you put a disclaimer on all digital media and preferably on plans and reports also. An example is shown below:

DISCLAIMER & COPYRIGHT ACME CONSULTING INC.: ACME Consulting Inc. assumes no responsibility for data supplied in electronic format. Such data is provided for convenience only and the recipient accepts full responsibility for verifying the accuracy and completeness of the data. The original hard copy of the data, which has been sealed and signed, shall constitute the official documents of record for working purposes. In the event of inconsistencies between the electronic data and the original hard copy data, the hard copy data shall prevail. The recipient releases ACME, its officers, employees, consultants and agents, from any and all claims arising in any way from the content or provision of the data. Nothing herein shall reduce or diminish ACME's ownership of or copyright in the data or its compilation or arrangement. Any analyses, programs, systems, software or formatting in the data shall be the property of ACME. The recipient of this data is prohibited from redistributing and from using any design or drawing information contained within the data, in whole or in part, for any other purpose than that for which it was originally designed without the express written consent of ACME Consulting Inc.

In answer to your question cvr, I am looking for a format I can send to clients, some of which are contractors.

I like the idea of the electronic documents disclaimer.
I'm not sure how it would be the responsibility of the client to verify the correctness or completeness of the data if it was modified in transit. If I were to burn a cd, the data could always be transferred to a computer, where it could be modified there. I could scan the image, but I think I would be compromising quality.
I like the idea of a pdf- it's a used on the internet to display government documents and scientific data, and in personal experiments, I haven't been able to modify the format. I haven't had this be a problem as of yet, so it would be more preventative measures I'm taking here. I'm sure PDF won't solve all my problems, it's not perfect, but it's practical, and it improves my sleep at night.

Thanks for previous posts. I found pdf2txt to be work for my spreadsheets. Thanks for all the helpful posts, guys. This is a great forum.

If all you're interested in doing is to provide a graphical output, you can simply copy what you wnat and then paste into Word as a device independent bitmap. This allows you to present data and graphs that have no editable items. I wind up doing this in Powerpoint routinely, because it guarantees that the printed output looks like the what you have on the screen.

In any case, ANYTHING that you provide electronically can be modified in some fashion. PDF output and even the bitmap can be manipulated if anyone truly chooses to. The protection for you is that you and only you have the original Excel file, as well as what you sent them TTFN

Thanks like I said really great thread. Yeah, I know there is vulnerability. I just want to make sure the file can't be modified by an idiot. That's basically it. These are all great ideas, thanks.

One last point - and I have always thought of the "changing", etc. So, on the run, may I suggest the following: Make a third CD of the file/report/design that you are sending the client. One to the client, one for you and send the third copy to your lawyer for safekeeping. Then, if the client makes any changes to the drawings, you have a copy of what you sent sitting with your lawyer - a warden of the court.

On the transmittal to the client, indicate that you have sent a copy to your lawyer (if you are really worried) and also you might identify each of the files in the transmittal by name, by date and by time the saving of the file. Further indicate that this is the only copy of the electronic file that you have sent the client. If he comes up with something else (after modifying his computer to ensure the date and time), you still have your lawyer's copy.

What I find is that many designers, after the contract is let and the contractor is working, issue revisions to the supervising engineer to give to the contractor so that he can "improve" his working drawings for submittal to engineer for approval (maybe not in US/Canada/Europe) but certainly in some other unnamed countries. Designer neither indicates any revision number, identifies the revision, etc. This is more a problem, I would think.

Make sense????

Makes sense to me! I had a look at a set of outstanding plans the other day. Every revision noted right there on the sheet with bubble/arrow pointing to the component! I was amazed, and at the same time frustrated thinking of all the time wasted in the past locating revision.

I see what you're saying about the lawer idea. That way you've got a third party to corroberate. I would like to stay as far away from the legal industry as possible! Hopefully these small preventative measures will aid in that. Thanks again for the good input.

dirtsqueezer

FredGarvin is right, PDF95 works great for a freebee.

One thing "we" do to save some of the disclaimer problems that cvg identified is make the customer sign a hard copy that you can file that states you are not responsible. Autographs will make the lawyers and courts happy.

Good luck!

My thread has so many posts- too bad half of them are mine!

Hey that's an aspect I hadn't thought of. Just have them sign one disclaimer covering all electronic documents in with the contract, and you're covered for the entire job. I still like the idea of sending copies of the file to a lawer in addition, just so that you have someone to corroborate that indeed you haven't also done any altering. That would make it airtight.

With all the scheming, I'm starting to feel like the gray-haired guy on Perry Mason here. Outstanding input thanks again.

A further method of protection (on Windows platform):
Zip all files (editable or read-only) in question in a single compressed file.
With WinZip it could also be password protected, that won’t encrypt but will prevent unauthorized access at basic level. Use PGP for industry strength encryption.
You could than generate a digital signature using the md5 Checksum method.
The said signature file is to be distributed together with the disclaimer file and the said compressed file.
You could also include a forth ‘contents.txt’ file showing the result of a DOS dir command i.e. all the file attributes: name, size, date, etc.To generate such file run the command from DOS prompt: dir *.* > contents.txt

A download for md5 is available for both Windows and *nix-es at:

I hope this helps!

Back to topic...

If you need to make .pdf from ANY printable format, just follow this steps:

1- install a "HP Color LaserJet PS" connected to "File port"
2- download and install Ghostscript and GSview from 3- print your spreadsheet using the virtual printer, this will create a .prn file. Some application does not automatically adds extension. If it is your case add it manually in the destination file.
4- convert the .prn in a .pdf file using GSview. Open the prn file and click File>convert .

It works, I used this lots of time.

Good luck.

Following up on the disclaimer angle. Here's an email I got from a Real Estate Broker with an attachment, the following was included:

This electronic message has come from ______ Property Management. It may be confidential or privileged, and is intended for the use of the individual or entity designated in the heading above. If you are not the intended recipient, please be aware that any further review, disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this transmission is prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by reply e-mail and delete the original message. Thank you.

How bulletproof is this, do you think? It's very congenial, but I'm not sure it would hold up in court. Prohibited by who? The United Nations? lol

not sure - I'm no lawyer. But here's one written by an attorney:

This message is confidential and intended only for the named recipient(s). This message may contain information that is privileged, attorney work product or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient(s), you are notified that reading, disseminating, distributing or copying this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error or are not the named recipient, please notify the sender by telephone, facsimile or e-mail and delete this message from your computer. Receipt by anyone other than the named recipient(s) is not a waiver of any attorney-client, work product or other applicable privilege. Thank you.

Here is one that I use in private correspondence now and then!!! [tongue]

"This note is a personal, private and confidential correspondence between the writer and the addressee/listed recipients. If you have received this by mistake or otherwise and are not on the list of recipients of the original message, you are not authorized to read any further. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any non-authorized or errant transmissions. Destroy this message – all hard copies and any soft copies of it from your computer, system network or any floppies or other data storage devices – at once. If you choose to read it, you do so on your own volition without recourse or remedy to subsequent requital. No expiation, in any form, will be contemplated for any putative or perceived affront – you have invaded our privacy. Be forewarned, to paraphrase J.D. Salinger, ”The narrative at hand presumably speaks for itself, but maybe a trifle more vulgarly and with more embellishment and invectiveness, I suspect, that such narratives even usually do.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back