Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do you measure angles if you can only pick 2 elements

Status
Not open for further replies.

v5newto

Automotive
Jun 13, 2006
US
Can someone please help me with angle measuring problems. In Catia V4, using the analysis command, I was able to have 3 parallel lines to each other in space, pick one line, a second line (as the axis line), then the third line to be given the angle measurement between the 2 lines (line 1 & 3). In V5, using the "Measure Between" command on anything I try, I seem to be able to pick 2 items only. How to you get this command to let you pick 3 items?? I have gone thru several combinations of the check boxes under the customize options button, but nothing works. Am I using the wrong command??

Thanks in advance for any help with this very stupid problem.
v5newto

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am a little rusty on CATIA 4 but I would put a plane on two lines and measure that to the third...or did I not get the picture..

Cheers

I don't know anything but the people that do.

v5newto said:
I was able to have 3 parallel lines to each other in space, pick one line, a second line (as the axis line), then the third line to be given the angle measurement between the 2 lines (line 1 & 3).

Why would you need to even take a measure of 3 lines that were parallel to each other in space? If they're parallel, the angle will always measure either 0 or 180 degrees...

???

-----------------------------------------------------------
Catia Design|Catia Design News|Catia V5 blog

I think I understand you the lines are parallel but not coplanar as shown in three views below.

| | |
| | |
| | |

+ + ------
\ A /
\ /
+ ------

So you are looking for the angle between two lines relative to the third being the axis center of the angle.

You could do this with two planes created through each pair of lines you want the angle for. or create two lines on a plane normal to the 3 lines.

Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back