Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How does this fastener work? I was 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeonhardEuler

Structural
Jun 19, 2017
US
How does this fastener work? I was working out and looked at this squat rack adjustment. It seems to have a spring attached to the bolt to not allow it to pull out of its housing. As you can see there are threads only at the end near the handle and the holes in the rack it “connects” to are smooth and not threaded. Yet when I place the bolt back in and tighten it down it holds the j-hook in place tightly and won’t move either up or down. Is it just tightening a spring inside and creating enough friction to hold it in place? This thing doesn’t move under over 500 lbs of load. How would the spring be attached to the bolt. I have a very similar project right now that this mechanism would be perfect for in a larger scale.
178FE6EE-B03E-4AC3-8D5F-C93CF1785ED0_d2htlv.jpg
62E14110-89AC-49B5-A17D-37A129C249E0_zgvq2r.jpg
B741ECE2-B32D-4289-A93E-7E2C7FA3C548_oixb2q.jpg
CF7AD66F-8032-474B-A316-F25385EC201F_hqcqsr.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I took part of it apart. It’s a stepped shaft that pushes on the face of the rack. Still not sure how the spring is holding on to the bolt so we’ll though.
image_tw8via.jpg

there looks to be some sort of housing ... welded onto the square tube. I suspect the bolt has a flange that the spring is loading on the inside of this housing. The spring is pushing this flange against the square tube, the spring is between the housing end cap (near the threaded end and the bolt flange, pushing the flange home against the square tube.

The only thing that's threaded in the handle, you're screwing to down as a "jam nut".

another day in paradise, or is paradise one day closer ?

Is it not simply a pin srewed to the t-handle to facilitate pulling the pin and the pin is spring-loaded to engage holes in the square tube thereby supporting the load in shear? The housing encloses the spring and the hex is on a piece holding the spring in place. There is a shoulder on the pin against which the spring pushes to force the pin into a hole in the square tube.

Ted

If you unscrew the fitting from the housing you'll find the spring.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Spring-loaded pin with screw-in to lock in place for the heavy lifting. Clean the threads and oil them or use anti-seize so the less muscular folks can unscrew them!

Walt

The hex nut on the mintjulep post is the lock for the threaded body to lock it on place after sdjusting the insertion depth of the body. Look closely at thr top of the body to see the hollow nut to keep the spring in place.
See the link on my previous post for a weld on spring pin assembly with t-handle.

Ted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back