Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

How far do you commute? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roadbridge

Civil/Environmental
Apr 20, 2005
IE

Just picking up on McCormick93 post (thread731-125070) on his two job offers he remarked that his commute was three miles to one of his job offers.
I was just wondering what distances other member’s commute every day to work and how do you find it?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

13 miles, ~25 minutes.

[green]"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."[/green]
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943.
Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

80 miles, 80-90 minutes, each way.

It's a bit much for me but I work 25% from home so that makes it tolerable. I'm hoping to move to 50%.

It's tolerable because traffic's not too bad, generally. When traffic's a mess, I hate it.

--------------------
Bring back the HP-15
--------------------

2.5 miles. I don't walk it as often as I should, but at least once a week I ride my bike or walk.

The worst commute I've ever had was 10 miles in 40 minutes, the best was 15 minutes by ferry.

Cheers

Greg Locock

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

9 miles, 20 minutes.

My favorite commute was 25 miles, 45 minutes, half of it through New England woods. I missed it when I moved closer.

Hg

Eng-Tips guidelines: faq731-376

If you ae in a high stress position, a medium-long commute can be a Godsend.

I had the Director of Engineering job from Hell. Tons of stress, but a 45-50 mile commute each way every day. Traffic was never a problem and the drive through the rolling hills and farmland of Eastern Nebraska gave me time to deal wit hteh frustrations o the day on teh way home so I walked in the door ready to be Husband and Daddy. The same 50-60 minute commute in the morning allowed me to mentally steel myself for the day ahead and set the priorities for the day's work, there by lessening the stress.

Presently, I have a 15-mile commute to a lower stress job in a city which holds the dubious distinction as the largest city without any crosstown freeway. When the snowbirds fly to the Old Pueblo from the great white North, and the students return to classes at the University, the traffic in and of itself can be a major stress maker...if you let it.

I recently mounted a set of 5-chime air horns from an old Santa-Fe passenger locomotive on my pick-up. In a traffic jam near the rail line, it can be a real hoot to sound for a grade crossing [evil]. Next project is a Heads Up display with a gunsight :-D

I remain,

The Old Soldering Gunslinger

In recent years:

Outer London, eight miles, 40 minutes. 20 minutes off-road on the pushbike.

Tyneside to Teesside, 110 miles round trip, 75 mins in morning, 45 mins in late evening. Oops, that last bit means I was speeding. 50 minutes. [noevil]

Having moved house, 18 miles each way, 30 minutes morning, 20 minutes evening.

----------------------------------

If we learn from our mistakes,
I'm getting a great education!

22 miles each way about 30-35 minutes.

Mostly through nice country side, really nice when the nights are light, less so in winter.

It is also going against the flow of traffic, for some sad reason it is nice to see others stuck in traffic when you are moving freely, you could easily double the times if driving the other way, morning and evening.

Does anyone else feel the same about traffic going the other way or the guy next to you in a jam being in a Ferrari, a sad sense of smugness?

Current company (DC area): 26 miles, 30-40 minutes; a fairly "intense" commute.

Before recent office relocation (still DC area): ~30 miles, 35-45 minutes*** - and even more "inyense" (***major tieups once weekly, add 20 minutes to afternoon commute)

Brfore that (in Mississippi): 20 miles, 20-45 minutes, not that intense (but not "relaxing" either).

WHen teaching about 15 years ago: ~25 miles, 30-40 minutes, but not intense at all.

Best commute ... current job ... 9km in 8 minutes through farmland back roads.

Worst temporary commute (twice a week) ... St. Catharines (Niagara) to Concord (just North of Totonto) ... approx 100km ... 1-1/2 hours on a good day.

Worst permanent commute ... Barrie to Concord ... 75km > usually 1 hour, but in bad winter weather, 2 hours. In reeeaaally bad weather ... stay at work! I quit that job when the drive become the highlight of the day.

[cheers]
Making the best use of this Forum. faq559-716
How to get answers to your SW questions. faq559-1091
Helpful SW websites every user should be aware of. faq559-520

Approximately 1 mile. 9 minute bike ride including a stop at Tim Hortons on the way.

That is a rarity, I know. I consider myself very lucky.

4 km or a 15 min mountain bike ride. Downhill to work, uphill home. More time with the family, good exercise, a breath of fresh air... This is happiness in one of its purest forms.

ajack1 said:
Does anyone else feel the same about traffic going the other way or the guy next to you in a jam being in a Ferrari, a sad sense of smugness?
Sad??? Nope ... just genuine, unadulterated, smug satisfaction [bigcheeks]

[cheers]
Making the best use of this Forum. faq559-716
How to get answers to your SW questions. faq559-1091
Helpful SW websites every user should be aware of. faq559-520

I commute at 100 km/h for about 1/2hr.... just other fellow workers... no stress... nice straight roads. Falling asleep is about the only concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back