Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

How far do you commute? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roadbridge

Civil/Environmental
Apr 20, 2005
IE

Just picking up on McCormick93 post (thread731-125070) on his two job offers he remarked that his commute was three miles to one of his job offers.
I was just wondering what distances other member’s commute every day to work and how do you find it?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I used to commute 600 miles each way every 2 weeks many years ago. After that 80 miles each way daily. Now it is about 15 foot steps to my home office every working morning.

EngJW: Don't believe everything you hear about Detroit. Detroit is OK, has problems not too much different from most large cities.

Unlike NickE, I live in the west suburbs of Detroit and work downtown. The commute is usually not bad, except now when construction on the Ford and Jeffries freeways make commuting a pain in the neck.

45 miles each way, 1 hour there, 1 hour 15 mins back 90% on straight rods (motorway). Worst run was 2 hours back after a mixture of an accident on the motorway and christmas traffic. Been doing it for more than 3 years and, frankly, it's wearing me down. Previously 3 miles, 15 minutes each way - would do anything to reduce to this now.

------------
See faq569-1083 for details on how to make best use of Eng-Tips.com

Theophilus,

No, I'm in San Antonio. Just had to take a huge detour this morning due to an overturned semi on 10. Some days are better than others.

1st job: 6 miles, about 10 minutes, small rural town in upstate NY.
2nd job: 12 miles, about 20 minutes, lived west of work so always had the sun in my eyes, MD
3rd Job: 45 miles, 1 hour mornings, 1 hour 15 minutes evenings, ASU and snowbirds would increase travel time, Mesa to Goodyear on I-10
4th job: 5 miles, 10 minutes, Mesa
5th job: 10 miles, 12 minutes, south-central PA

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."
"Fixed in the next release" should replace "Product First" as the PTC slogan.

Ben Loosli
CAD/CAM System Analyst
Ingersoll-Rand

I used to drive I-10 into Mobile, across the bay bridge (speedway)which is several miles long. I saw everything from women putting on makeup to people reading the newspaper. One time a car passed me and was changing lanes erraticaly. A girl was sitting on the drivers lap, with her head out the window and holding onto the roof while bouncing up and down. Honest. I wouldn't blame anyone for not believing it.

I communte 2-1/2 blocks, but usually drive it.

That way I can leave 5 minutes to 8am, stop off and get coffee, have my car parked in the garage, and walk through the door at precisely 8 am.

Eng JW: I believe you. I routinely have to drive to inspections along the I-80 corridor, averaging about 230 miles per trip. Eventually you see it all.

Worst thing I saw was a deer get hit by a truck.

The worst thing I saw during my commute was an accident resulting in the death of a person. Large animal road kills, typically moose, are common place during the winter season on the 80 mile route I used to take; however, the meat is not wasted. Local law enforcement contact people on a list that will come out and harvest the road kill.

35 miles, anywhere from 25 minutes to 1.5 hr. Very inconsistent DC and Baltimore beltway traffic.) I try to speed when I can, and luckily I've only been pulled over once (for going 70 mph in a 55 zone, of all things!).

I also have to travel about once every one to two weeks about 90 miles roundtrip. I'm starting to feel more "at home" in my car, since I've been spending so much time in it. I think I'll forget about upgrading my home and just get a mustang convertible... then I can be the "smug" one on the road!

Zo40,

Talking about living in your car, when I used to do the long Newcastle-London run, I would leave civilisation in the late evening, maybe 2100hrs or so, and drive through the night to avoid the nightmare that is London traffic. The M25 is the orbital motorway around London and is an experience best avoided, but at 0300hrs it is bearable. I used to sleep in the back of the estate car - station wagon to the American readers - on an airbed and get a shower at work about 0730. It got to be a running joke with Security.

I've also slept in the car quite a few times when I was with my first employer. Their policy for workers out on site was to give us a fairly small sum of money to find a meal and a B&B for the night. Being young and reckless, we took that to mean 'eat at Burger King, guzzle as much alcohol as possible before the bar closed, and sleep in the car'. That lifestyle would kill me now I am older!

----------------------------------

If we learn from our mistakes,
I'm getting a great education!

Worst commute which I did for a year was from just outside Basingstoke UK to Canary Wharf London, 3 hours each way, if the trains and underground was with me, it took me 6 hours a couple of times!
Best commute was 10 mins on the bike.

"Their policy for workers out on site was to give us a fairly small sum of money to find a meal and a B&B for the night. Being young and reckless, we took that to mean 'eat at Burger King, guzzle as much alcohol as possible before the bar closed, and sleep in the car'. That lifestyle would kill me now I am older!"

LOL, I believe that is fairly universal.........I finally woke up at about age 35!

I have several friends (not in Engineering) who commute from Tucson to Phoenix and back every day. From the North edge of the Tucson Metro area ( Marana) to the South edge of the Phoenix metro (Chandler)is about 95 miles.

Pardon me, but that is totally nuts.

I remain,

The Old Soldering Gunslinger

I commute 45 miles each way, but it is mostly open interstate. Normal drive time is 50 min. each way. It's a beautiful drive that takes I-40 East to an elevation of nearly 3000 ft above sea level, where it crosses the Eastern Continental Divide near Ridgecrest, NC. The scenery along with the absence of heavy traffic make it very nice.

I used to work with an engineer that commuted from Lake Arrowhead (near Big Bear) to Long Beach Airport every day. Approx 91 miles each way. He did it for about 19 years. Now THAT'S crazy!

Chris
Sr. Mechanical Designer, CAD
SolidWorks 05 SP2.0 / PDMWorks 05
ctopher's home site

FAQ559-1100
FAQ559-716

It was 2 miles but I got transfered last week and now it is 1 mile. That extra hour or two oever a normal comute is worth alot to me. I even come home for lunch.

I just wish the roads here were friendly to bicycles.

I saw this news report once about a guy how commuted to and from work by helicopter. He lived some where in the north of England and worked in London.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back