Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How have you dealt with a good performance review and crummy raise? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nodiggity

Mechanical
Feb 20, 2005
US
I had what I consider one of my best reviews ever. I've gone out on a limb and done extra projects, became more valuable to the department and I received the second to lowest percentage pay increase I've ever had. It's seriously demoralizing to me. I find that I don't want to try very hard anymore because I can't break out of getting just an average raise.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Agree that it's frustrating.

I'd check with the industry standards out there about appropriate pay levels for engineers with your experience and education. Then approach your supervisor with your data and at the least communicate to them your dissatisfaction.

It may also be that you have gotten very large percent increases in the past and they feel you are already at an appropriate level. As you get older and more experienced, the early raises in the first severaly years usually aren't warranted later on.

A couple things to consider:
(1) payraises aren't always based on merit. It's based on a combination of merit increases, company performance, and annual inflation rate-define cost of living increases. If the company is doing poorly, there isn't money projected in next year's budget sufficient to cover large pay raises. If inflation is low, then the cost-of-living adjustment that is a component of your raise will be less.
(2) It is the way of the world for the rate of change of engineering salaries to flatten out after a certain number of years. That's why there aren't a lot of fabulously rich engineers out there.

TygerDawg

A merit pay award has very little to do with merit. If there is a pot of money then it'll be biased to the blue eyed boys (or girls) or the younger (to stop them from leaving). I've done surveys before between appraisal ratings and final pay award. There was little correlation. For a pay for performance scheme to work properly you'd need a management to have the omniscience of guardian angels, and lets face it they're no angels.

corus

5.4% annual raise is above average. Current inflation rate is about 2% which means you have increased much faster than inflation. However, if you have also been given increased responsabilities you should be promoted with a corresponding large increase in pay.

A 5.4% average is the stuff of dreams, at least in the UK Automotive industry. Keep your job and you are doing well.

I would recommend that you go down the route of not trying very hard as you suggest that way you will not have to worry about the size of your increase next year and whoever the company employ instead of you, will I am sure be happy.

5.4% is not bad. Really, if you want a better pay increase fast, you really have to company hop. My guess is, your starting salary wasn't very good that is why you are not satisfied with your raise. If you work for a big corporation, if you are getting 5.4%, someone else is getting only 2.6%. They probably want to give out raises average around 4-5% a year. Not sure if you work for a big corporation or not.

5.4% is something I would love to get. last couple of years have been 1.5%, not even keeping up with cost of living. The only saving grace has been incentive bonus of ~ 10%.

My best pay-raise ever (9.5%) came after the worst review I've ever had. My best two reviews came with statements that corporate had pay-raise freezes in effect.

As Scott Adams states in Dilbert - "I've lost that subtle connection between my performance and my pay."

When it comes to raises, they are usually budgeted long before anyone is evaluated. You get what you get, and that's that.

There is no connection between performance and pay increase. Don't waste energy trying to make one.

When I had my 2nd performance review (18 months deep in my career), my boss told me he was going to "try" to get me a good raise along with a promotion. I got 4.5% after that review, but no promotion. Our annual raises are part COLA and part performance based. My boss told me he did everything he could to get me something like 8%, but the upper mgt. simply wouldn't let it fly.

6 months later and after I had a large successful project under construction with no hang ups, I got the promotion and another 4%.

I went though something just like that. My company decided on a new review process where each individual would be given a grade based on their performance. Their grade would then determine their percentage increase. Well I got an A- on my review and was expecting a nice raise, instead I got under the cost of living after waiting 1 1/2 years (yeah the review and raise were 6 months late...) for a raise. It was this that was my last straw with the company and made my decision to move on extremely easy.

I've never noticed any correlation between appraisals and pay rises. After the first dozen or so, appraisals kind of lose their interest - a bit like spending a couple of hours in the pub with your boss, only there's no beer.

To answer the OP.....BADLY

Happened to me once (the standard excuse for not giving pay rises in Ireland at the time was a slow down in the global markets). I sulked for a while, got over it and continued to perform my duties. A few weeks later when all had settled down, I got laid off (see previous excuse)

There was something about alarm bells, but sometimes you need to be hit by the train head-on to get the hint.

Kevin Hammond

Mechanical Design Engineer
Derbyshire, UK

Nodiggity,

Sorry, I'm not trying say that your company is on the verge of collapse or anything. That was just my experience. And again sorry for the whinging.

Kevin Hammond

Mechanical Design Engineer
Derbyshire, UK

As a junior engineer in times of high raises (and high inflation) I set myself some firm limits. Less than 10% and I'd announce that I was looking for a new job. Less than 5% and I'd quit on the spot. My telepathic boss handed me my letter with 10.1% on it.

as others have stated, a good review doesn't always mean a good raise. A couple of things to look at from the company's point of view:
1. Is your pay average or above average for the your job classifcation? If so then don't expect a big raise. Remeber most everyone else the super. is reviewing is doing a good job and wants a big raise. Remeber the bell curve.
2. Many company's give the average 3% raise which is why it is very profitable to move around. No idea why companies do this.
3. A good company will give you a 3% raise for a few years and then give you a promotion with 5 - 10% more to keep you ahead of inflation and in-line with peers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back