Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How have you dealt with a good performance review and crummy raise? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nodiggity

Mechanical
Feb 20, 2005
US
I had what I consider one of my best reviews ever. I've gone out on a limb and done extra projects, became more valuable to the department and I received the second to lowest percentage pay increase I've ever had. It's seriously demoralizing to me. I find that I don't want to try very hard anymore because I can't break out of getting just an average raise.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I agree with DRC1.

If you can get the same job (relative to what you consider the same job), with more pay, then I would suggest you take it.

So, can you get another job same as your current one with better pay?

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
Albert Einstein
Have you read FAQ731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Engineering (non-manager) offers a respectible and moderate lifestyle.
Most engineers (non-manager) will not reap the financial success as some other industries. Apparently, you are near or have reached the monetary plateau that your company and/or industries considers your worth.
I believe that this is more common than not.
There will always be exceptions

5% was the best I have ever gotten (without switching jobs that is or promotion). And that was only because they knew I might be leaving. I left and got about 17%. I have always gotten good reviews but never get above 3 to 4%. As someone mentioned: If you get 5 someone else is getting 2.5. Doesn't matter if it is merit based or not these days. Automotive is horrible and I want out. Have to job hop to get a decent raise these days. Just had my eval today too. I dont expect more then 3%. 5 if I am lucky but I doubt it. averaging 5.4% at the same company is incredible to me :) Inflation was 3.9 % last year I believe. My raise will be 3%. So basically I will be taking a pay cut in April when it goes into affect because the dollar they are paying me with is worth less than last year ;)

Our pay reviews are happening at the moment, ready for annual pay rises in April. Our evaluations take place in May / June. You can bet anything discussed at the performance evaluation is forgotten by the time pay reviews come around!

Lots of talk about bad increases, percentage analysis and looking elsewhere.
What happened to telling the boss what you think of his increase; use the review as ammunition to prove your point.

Complain - Oh how Un-Engineer like, lets analyse it instead.

Remember performance reviews are the creation of HR departments with too much time on their hands finding work for those that dont.

FOETS
Social Drinker with a Golfing Problem

in my experience, HR doesn't get too involved with deciding who or how much the raises are. This comes down from top management. As indicated in previous posts, there is a budgeting process every year. There is a budget for the salaries and for the bonus pool. Once that gets established, management starts to divy up the pie and the recommended numbers start to trickle down to your department head. He may have some input, but unless it is a small company - very little. Once the decision is made, all have to live with it unless the complaining starts. The negotiations can begin, but unless you can make a good case for your raise to be increased - it is too late to change things. Need to begin the complaining / justification process with your boss early in the year and continue it all year long. In other words, work hard and continually let your boss know how valuable you are to his success, i.e. that you are helping him make his goals.

Also remember, if you are a younger engineer and everyone in the company or department is getting the same percentage raise, then you are falling behind! The higher paid employees are getting the same percent of a higher amount. Therefore, you slip farther behind. Speak up about that. If you are young, learning, and progressively taking on more responsibility, then you should get a larger percent raise to help narrow the gap as you become more valuable to the company. If not, move on. Been there; done that.

All this being said, one has to remember that the corporation's purpose is not to enrich the employees; rather its stockholders or investors.

Therefore they are going to do what you do as a good engineer. They are going to get the best job for the least cost. If you are that least cost suppler of the service that they need, then you will get the work. If not they will hire someone else to replace you at the same or maybe even less than they are paying you.

If you really want to make more, you are going to have to get promoted or move on-probably the latter.

rmw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back