Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

how long do you hang on 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlpineEngineer

Civil/Environmental
Aug 27, 2006
US
I have talked to multiple firms/friend in my area that have either gone out of buisness or are about to go out of buisness due to this economy. My buisness has taken a HARD hit as well. its down to just me now. This all begs the question: Once its down to just you how long do you hang on before you start looking for work as an employee? That is assuming there are actually jobs out there.

I would be curious to hear some thoughts on this especially from those of you who have been through a downturn like this before.

Thanks,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Same here, there is no going back for me no matter how hard it is. It's really about controlling your own destiny as job security is a myth. There was a time when I'm still working as an employee that I dreaded my monday mornings. I get all depressed and anxious at the same time every sunday evening thinking about the week ahead. Now on sunday nights, I get a smile on my face and look forward to the week ahead even when the prospect is not good. I just have this eternal optimism in me that keeps me in a positive mood. I don't stress about the things that I cannot control. I guess I'm also lucky that I haven't been idled since I started my own practice. Though it's considerably slow right now, I'm still consistently managing to find my next project after I'm done with one. I started last Dec 07 with 2 employees right off the bat and added 3 more as the work load increased. I'm down with 1 right now but still surviving.
Just a piece of advice to those looking to go back and be an employee again. If you happen to receive a job offer, just make sure you don't sign away your client list once you join a company. Protect yourself if the employment would not work out or if the economy improves and you decide to try working on your own again.

Good point RacingAZ.
A buddy of mine has been on his own most of his 35 years in business as a one man operation. About a year and a half ago, when he found himself struggling to stay afloat, he took on a job with a company in the same sector. He kept his client list to himself and was let go after 6 months. A few months later the same situation came up and again he took the job, and again he only lasted a few months. His employer wanted his customers, and when he wouldn't give it him, out he goes.
I also have a small business and there is no way that I can see myself working for someone else. As tough as things are, I can't help but feel that I'm better off working for myself. Mind you, if the fridge is empty, I'll serve burgers with a smile if I have to.

Mind you, if the fridge is empty, I'll serve burgers with a smile if I have to.

I hear ya. I've been in business for 9 years now as a sole proprietor. I can't see going back to work for someone else, either - I think I'd go back to waiting tables first. We've also got a pond full of fish here and plenty of room for a garden. ;-)

RacingAZ, I also think that is excellent advice regarding your client list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back