Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How many of you provide a new copy of NFPA 25 per system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShawnO1

Mechanical
Oct 26, 2010
US
I realize it's in the code and I should be doing it. As a matter of fact it's a goal to start doing this quarter. However, at $45 a copy it can get rather expensive. $45 is a lot of money for a $5 paperback. Probably not as expensive as an insurance claim though. Does anyone have what they feel is the most cost effective way to provide them a copy of NFPA 25?

Buy in bulk? Does NFPA offer any other discounts besides NFPA membership discounts? Maybe an owner's edition? How many of the companies you guys work for actually provide a copy at the end of the job?

Thanks,
ShawnO

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You could become a NFPA online subscriber and print them out as you need however these subscriptions can be quite expensive. I just let the customer decide if they would like to obtain a copy at an extra charge. On a large job (100K and over) we will throw the book as complementary.

NJ1 - Thanks for your help. Only problem is it prints out the statement...

"Copyright 2012 NFPA...for individual use and single download...

No other repoduction or transmission in any form....

For inquiries or to report unauthorized use, contact locensing@nfpa.org"

cdafd - I suppose I could also include a link to download and view the NFPA 25 in y closeout documents but the could specifically says that per 2010 NFPA 13 24.4(2), as a sprinkler contractor, we are required to provide a copy of NFPA 25 with the property owner's representative.

I guess it also reads that as saying we are to provide a copy but I'm not sure if that's what they mean though.

Interesting, I guess there is someone out there that does it.

Have not heard on any systems I have done a contractor hand over a 25!!!

I guess add it to your cost or maybe do a check list for the type of system they have with references to 25, I do no think they need the enitre book if all they have is a wet system

cdafd

That is exactly what I meant. leave it up to the owner or end user. I dont leave those standards on every job unless it is check as requested. It is not worth to leave on the spare box since it could be lost, stolen or damaged by humidity, etc.

Check this out Per NFPA 2010...

"24.4 Instructions.
The installing contractor shall provide the property owner or the property owner's authorized representative with the following:

(1)All literature and instructions provided by the manufacturer describing proper operation and maintenance of any equipment and devices installed

(2)NFPA 25, Standard for the Inspection, Testing, and Maintenance of Water-Based Fire Protection Systems"

We never left a copy in the past but now our insurance company is requiring it as well as NFPA 13.

I know it is in the NFPA 13. It has being since I know of NFPA 13 but the question still remains.
How many contractors follow that rule?
I know I do not unless it is check as required within the contract. I make sure they know is required but if they choose not to then what.
How many final inspections are passed without that book on site inside the spare headbox?

At the end of the day it is still the contractors responsibility to ensure that the end user knows that it is required to have the standard on site at the completion of any installation.
Do they really care?
Maybe 4 out of 10

We supply one to every job that is 13 and 13R. If it's 13D, we do not (doesn't really apply). We compensate for the cost by including it in the bid. Usually if you miss out on a bid, it's not the $45.00 manual that made you lose out on it. As far as who really cares about it..pretty much no one. They sit in the head box and never get used. An extra 45 bucks is cheap insurance if you ask me.

tony

I've never heard of anyone stealing an NFPA 25. I have never heard of anyone playing in spare head boxes and damaging or losing them. I can go to job sites from 10 years ago and its still there..wipe off the dust and its in pristine condition. If you have a company policy why does anyone have to sign off on it?

tony

twd22285-

I think I'm going to add an extra $45 to the spreadsheet for all jobs and just start the chore. If a dry system freezes and burst and they didn't maintain and I DID NOT give them the NFPA 25 then the trouble can start. Still at 400 jobs a year that adds up to $18k a year which is not chump change.

I think it's a real shame they charge so much for the NFPA 25 edition. I can understand the other editions price but since it's in the code to require us to provide they are not only giving the owner an out but twisting our arm to purchase. -rant over.

-NJ1
We never leave them with the head cabinet but send them with our close-out documents and note in the transmittal letter that they are receiving a copy.

Thanks for everyones input.

I agree! The price is ridiculous..even more ridiculous is how little the price break is for buying in bulk. That's a good idea to send them with the close out documents. I just might start doing that.

tony

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back