Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

How many times have you changed Jobs? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimmyH76

Structural
Mar 14, 2006
US
Just a curiosity question I've heard engineers change jobs more frequently than other professions? So...how many jobs have you had, and in what time frame 5,10,15 20 years?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

C'mon. You know you were all curious. I was just the one geeky enough to post it first. Just call me enginerd.

HEC, Yep. I've been at that company. They want engineers around to fix all the problems, but don't want to give engineers any time to actually "engineer" something ahead of time to mitigate them. Just get it to the shop, we'll deal with it them.

--Scott

Graduated in 99 but spent about a year outside Engineering between my first and 2nd engineering job.

Just over 4 years direct at first place, then almost a year contract.

2.5 at my current place but the first 9 months or so were contract.

So depending how you count either 2 or 4 in just under 8 years.

I wouldn't have left my first one when I did if it wasn't for moving to the States to be with my wife. They would actually give raises above inflation fairly readily if you played the game and increased your worth to the company etc.

KENAT, probably the least qualified checker you'll ever meet...

13 jobs in 12 years.

Then one job for 19 years.

Then 7 jobs in 11 years.

Had the world by the tail there for a while...

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Two jobs 26 years
1st job Boilermaker built tanks all across the land mainly breweries (Budweiser, Miller, Red Stripe, Presedente, Medala ect…) and distilleries ( Old Crow ,National Royal Crown ect…) lasted 20 years Loved every minute of it would not change a thing but started to get old and break down so
2nd job Third party Inspector for Biopharmaceuticals I have been on the Amgen Jobsite for the last 6 years Love this job also
Inspection is easier on the body than building tanks

5 employers in 12 years. 1 lay off, 1 company closed

It is hard to have a place the is stable enough to work more than 5 years in many industries in the US.

2 employers, almost 4 years. Management imploded at the first company. By the time I left, I was the only engineer (EI, no PEs) in the building. It was a good thing, because I like my current job a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back