Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

How mount PCB 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Depends upon the environment (temp/humidity/vibration).
Double sided tape- provides insulation and adhesion.

-AK2DM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It's the questions that drive us"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nylon screws through some of the not-used pin outs. Maybe the holes are too small. If you are using all the pin-outs then, if you have some money, machine a base that will hold the board on the edges and use clamps to hold the board down to the base

Velcro should be used with some caution. It is easily removed by peeling forces, but with a rigid circuit board, there isn't the chance to peel. I've seem people use this to mount similar devices only to discover the removal loads are very high or the item is damaged in the removal process.

It's a shame they don't give much thought to the mounting of the item - they could ship with a perforated support that had proper mounting holes.

This device is for prototype board mounting - by adding header pins - so I would not expect it to have easy mounting. There are other boards that are likely to be easier to mount. Something like

3 of the holes spaced around the board are labeled as ground. You can use these holes to mount it to a surface and can use metal fasteners as they don't need to be isolated.

All those holes are plated through with circuitry on the back. Sticking them on sheet metal will also ground them and several other connections: The holes are roughly 1mm diameter, about half the diameter of a #2 screw. They don't have/need mounting provisions because this is supposed to be used with pin headers.

3D Print a mount that's got two rows of press-fit holes that match the holes on the board. Pick a couple and solder short pins in them (out the back) and then plug the board into the printed mount like it was a DIP. Put whatever holes in the mount you want to affix the mount to the sheetmetal wall.

Keith Cress
kcress -

"Velcro should be used with some caution. It is easily removed by peeling forces, but with a rigid circuit board, there isn't the chance to peel."
Apologies. I should have been more precise and used the term Velcro Pads. Small round or square pads that release well, and are extremely useful in an are with mechanical vibration.

I use nylon snap in board spacers for circuit boards with mounting holes in them. One possibility is stamped flat solder lugs which would snap into these spacers and just solder a bare wire to the board in 4 corners. I've not been happy with the dupont pins and connectors making reliable connections and have preferred to solder wires right to the board. Of course, that depends on how many connections you make.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back