Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

How much external force can pipe takes before it deforms?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaplin

Mechanical
May 29, 2002
CA
I have a 300psi dry air line that needs to run under a crushed gravel roadway in a switchyard. The current plan is to use 1" Sched 40 SS. I'm trying to decide if the pipe needs to be protected from the forces of a truck driving over top, or whether laying it 1' underground will be enough. There must be a formula for this.

Suggestions?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

if you laid it on concrete and ran truck over it you would be very unlikely to damage it, what you need to know is how soft is the ground that the pipe will be laid in as the damage would happen if the wheel sank down far enough to push the pipe because it would bend local to the wheel and stay as laid flat everywhere except for say 12" either side ,,then it would fold. 12 " is probably not enough in soft soil but great in hard packed soil as long as it stays hard packed ...any chance of heavy rain?

as you want to pass your pipe under ground, the important task is to prevent corossion , and protect your pipe external surface . 1" sch 40 pipe with min. spy = 35000 psi will safely do the job for you and you should consider at least two main item for its long service duration.
1- depth of laying = I sugest 1 m cover to protect it from dynamic & static machionary loads .
2- apply suitable coating and corossion allowance to its thk.

I would use at least 3' of cover/burial and run the 1" line inside a 4" S/80 casing pipe. I'm assuming this is a temporary line. Depending on whether this is permanent or on a public access road there may be code/DOT requirements as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back