Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How much is gasoline/petrol costing you at the pump? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roadbridge

Civil/Environmental
Apr 20, 2005
IE
I was just wondering how much are your paying per litre for petrol?
What are the different prices from country to country taking government tax's?
Irelands €1.12/litre but its expected to go to €1.30 this Monday.
What's yours.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

About $3 a gallon here in SW USA. I suppose a high taxation of gasoline has a long-range benefit of discouraging wastage of gasoline (such as Ford F350 with the V-12 gasoline engine), but it is a regressive tax in most cases.
I do enjoy riding my bike to work - 34 miles roundtrip. I probably spend just as much in extra food and bicycle-related equipment, but it gives me such good exercise.

$2.89/gal Friendswood Texas USA (near Houston), but most of the Houston area is running about $3.10. Atlanta will come down in the next few days as the piplines come on and the refineries come back online.

-The future's so bright I gotta wear shades!

JAE I think you will find you are paying much less than in Ireland, unless you are paying $3.19/ litre, 80% of the price of fuel in the UK is tax. The prices look a bit misleading as some are quoting litres, some gallons and then euros, pounds and dollars.

1 UK gallon = 4.55 litres, I believe an American gallon is about 4 litres, but I am not sure.

Todays prices are; -

£1 = $1.84
£1 = 1.46 euro
1 euro = $1.25

Teesside, north-east England (but the south to a native of newcastle!): forecourt prices currently between £0.92/litre and £0.96/litre.

I am consciously driving with a lighter right foot these days. I've gotten from about 33mpg to about 40mpg according to the display in the car, and that's supported by the better mileage per tank I'm getting. I can't afford to drive like a young'un these days!!

----------------------------------

One day my ship will come in.
But with my luck, I'll be at the airport!

arunmrao,

We Delhi people have luxary to buy petrol at INR 40.80 per litre. In poorer states, cost is still higher. Perhaps the logic is to deter the poor from wasting their money on something like petrol.

Ciao.

Flamby and Arunmrao,

It is Rs. 47.30/liter(0.85euro) in Hyderabad if it is Speed. The normal one is about 44.5/liter (0.80Euro). With the hike, it will be Rs.50/-. The actual price, with all the traffic jams and worst traffic practices, my calculation shows it about Rs 55/already(1 euro/liter). I think Delhi and Bangalore are a bit better in this regard.

The price per gallon is really irrelevant if you take your fuel consumption into account and also the tax that is added to the petrol (gas). In the UK we pay a high pecentage of tax in the price per gallon but we don't generally pay a toll for travelling on roads (with the exception of one new motorway in the midlands). In France, however, they pay a toll for travelling on motorways. This adds to the price per mile travelled. Simailarly cars with a high mpg will pay less per mile travelled. You just can't go on the headline figure.

corus

We in India pay a life time road tax at the time of purchase of a new car. This is transferable within the same state,but if you move to another state,a fresh life time tax will have to be paid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back