Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How much is gasoline/petrol costing you at the pump? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roadbridge

Civil/Environmental
Apr 20, 2005
IE
I was just wondering how much are your paying per litre for petrol?
What are the different prices from country to country taking government tax's?
Irelands €1.12/litre but its expected to go to €1.30 this Monday.
What's yours.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Another Canadian voicing in here..

QCE is right about the fact that we have had it good in terms of gas pricing. But now people in and around major Canadian cities have to adapt to a new reality of ever increasing gas costs. Even if gas prices don't hit $2/L, people now realize that they need to do something about this. In Europe, a lot of people have been living with this reality for a long time, and have adapted.

Just last year, Piaggio (the makers of Vespa scooters) began importing new scooters into the Canadian market for the first time in 18 years. Scooters in general have had a strong presence in Europe since the '50s (one of my fondest memories of Rome was seeing four nuns, dressed in habits and all, riding down the street on Vespas).

Since they have started shipping, I have noticed a HUGE increase in scooters on city streets, and the trend will likely rise even further. People will not replace their cars and SUV with scooters and mopeds, but they are realizing that if they can all but park the car for 6 months out of the year, ride their scooter to work 5 days a week (maybe take the car in the evening for kids' soccer practice or grocery shopping), they will see a HUGE savings on fuel prices.

A fill up on my 50cc scooter is about $9 at today's prices, but that is only if the bike is sucking fumes before I fill it. That tank of gas will easily get me 400km of city traffic.

(A few weeks ago while filling up, the person behind me was telling his wife that it was going to cost them over $100 to fill the tank on their GMC Envoy. I remember his look of disbelief when I paid the attendant with the loose change in my pocket.)

In NB, Canada we have seen a lot of 1.39$cdn/l

converted at 85c to the US dollar I find

4.54 $US/GalUS

Still much better than Europe it seems, but enough to make people think about their driving habits &choices

My wife and I drove to my families home in Northern Nevada over the weekend, from our home outside of Los Angeles CA. It is a route that goes through many small towns along the eastern slope of the Sierra Nevada mtns. My wife decided to doccument the gas prices tha we saw on pumps, and photographed many of them. The trip saw a range of gasoline cost from the cheapest here in Los Angeles, at 2.95(us)/gal to the most expensive in Lee Vining CA at 4.89(us)/gal.

Our cars are deisel, which was quite different, from the cheapest in Fallon, NV at 3.04/gal to the most expensive in Los Angeles, at 3.69/gal.

I don't know much about fuel production, but does any one have any ideas why this might be (almost exactly backwards between deisel and gas). Our guess is based on steady consumption of diesel and overstocking in Farming communities, where deisel is more common.

Wes C.

Diesel consumption is relatively stable through out the year. Trucks run 7 days a week and 365 days a year while gasoline consumption spikes in the summer time. Typically most trucks can run 1000 miles on a fill-up and can afford to fill where cheapest.

QCE - Just to annoy FrancoisB, who I think is being overly sensitive, I've gone through the whole thread and given you another star each time you made a comment.

Why can't Canadians objectively critique their own country? The only criticism we Australians can stand is that from other Australians. (That does not include Germain Greer who for all i&p is English these days, and therefore not qualified to comment about anything to do with Australian society after the '70s)

LewTam Inc.
Petrophysicist, Head Stockman, Gun Welder, Gun Shearer, Ski Instructor, Drama Coach.

Why do some people insist that residents from certain countries can't cite "high" gas prices if the price in some other country is higher?

Last time I checked, I only had voting rights in one country. Come to think of it, I only own a car in one country and I buy gas predominantly in one country.

If it makes you feel better that people in other countries pay more for gas because of high taxes, then more power to you. But don't tell me that I can't say gasoline is expensive after it has nearly doubled in price per gallon over the last four years in my area (without significant changes in taxes). The fact that people in other countries may still pay more is irrelevant.

Also, when someone makes the comment that a person (or country) uses "too much" gasoline, what exactly does that mean? In most countries, people are free to drive whatever vehicle they choose, and free to drive however much they choose, if they can afford it.

I have to agree with QCE, canadians do complain a lot about our gas prices.

I'm canadian, it doesn't bother me. Everyone has to pay it, those that pay more drive more or drive enormous SUV's that are bigger than my dream house.

I paid $1.29/L on the weekend, $50 to fill up a civic. That will last me a month though.

That is an interesting point of view Haf. Would you say a school that got two pupils on to higher education had a high success rate? Well I guess if they only got one last year then yes you would!!

Personally I would say it was a low success rate if just about every other school was getting more. You are still getting cheap petrol, just not as cheap as it was.

ajack1: I don't see how your comparison is relevant, but, either way, I think we are agreeing with each other.

Gasoline/petrol prices are determined by many factors, including the price of crude oil, refinery costs, delivery costs, and TAXES.

From what I can tell, the relatively high gas prices in Europe compared to the US/Canada are due to taxes more than any other factor.

Since that is the case, comparing gas prices between countries is basically pointless, since you're really comparing taxes more than anything else. If you really want to compare gas prices between countries, then take the taxes out of the price per gallon or liter. I would guess that the cost for gasoline is fairly similar between developed countries before taxes, but maybe I'm wrong.

My point is that gas is relatively expensive in the US compared to the recent past, and the fact that someone from another country still thinks it's cheap is basically useless information. Similarly, I would expect that me telling someone in the UK that petrol was expensive compared to the US would be useless information to them (unless they want to use that as grounds to put pressure on their government to reduce taxes, which probably wouldn't be a very viable reason anyway).

Adding to Haf's point...

Because tax makes up ~65p of a 95p litre in the UK, relative changes in the before-tax price are diluted somewhat. Doubling the pre-tax price in the UK would only give ~30% rise in the final cost.

This is not the case in countries with lower fuel taxes. In these countries a doubling of the pre-tax price gives a much bigger relative change in final cost.

And this gives rise to the somewhat paradoxical situation where those lucky people from countries with low fuel taxes complain that they've been hit extra hard compared with us in Europe who've only seen marginal increases in price.

Haf, I would guess you are correct that fuel is pretty much the same cost in all developed countries, I would guess the transportation would be less expensive in countries that have cheap fuel ;-)

Certainly in the UK fuel is heavily taxed, I thought it was 80p in the £ but I could be wrong.

However if this is true then we all have paid the same amount extra, namely the increase, we just have a large chunk of tax on top, so the percentage is less but the amount is the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back