Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How much memory is optimal for ST5

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnathamilton

Mechanical
Jul 20, 2008
CA
I just installed ST5 in Vista 6Intel4 Business O/S. Have an Intel DuoCore E7200 2.53 GHz CPU on a P5QC motherboard with 4 GB RAM. Seems a bit slow now with ST5 with fairly small assemblies i.e. 5-10 parts - although some parts have many different faces i.e. it's a complex casting.

I have been advised by GTAC to upgrade the memory before switching to another CPU.

Any thoughts - is 8GB adequate or is 16GB wasting money and should I upgrade the CPU?

Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would say it depends on what else is eating up memory on your system. We are runnig ST5 with 8gb RAM (Win7 Pro) and it runs great, even on large assemblies. (we are running Win 7 Pro with a litte faster processor though).

Thanks gervaij: I do tend to run with a lot of open programs on the computer, but I did notice a difference immediately after loading ST5. I'm upgrading the HD to Solid State. I also read that running 64Bit SE is slower than running 32Bit SE on a 64 bit O/S. Not sure why this would be the case...

All the ST5 machines we are running are brand new so no question that helps but so far so good. Now if SE would fix all the broken things in ST5!

At this point you can't revise through Sharepoint in ST5 whereas in all pervious versions you could. You need to create the revision using RevMan or when you release the file it will not bump subsequent revisons into Obsolete, just piles them up in Released. GTAC was unaware of this upon release of ST, verified it was an issue, and say they are working on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back