Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

How much momemt of Inertia will be felt at engine if we attach a disc of moment of inertia X?

Status
Not open for further replies.

engg35mechie

Automotive
Apr 28, 2015
DE
How much momemt of Inertia will be felt at engine if we attach a disc of moment of inertia​ 0.4kgm²at end ?

I would say Zero , because of no unbalance Mass on axis of rotation

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This is a very vague question.

No matter what, if you have a mass directly coupled to the end of any engine's output shaft, the engine is accelerating (or decelerating) that mass. Whether the mass is balanced or not does not matter. The only way for an engine to operate as if the connected machinery has a moment of inertia of zero is if the connected machinery has a moment of inertia of zero- which is impossible.

@jgKRI

What if the disc is attached to the outputshaft of gearbox, and if you neglect moment of inertia of gearbox and engine? what will be the feeling of MOI due to Disc at Engine

engg35mechie,

Moment of inertia has no effect on anything unless acceleration is present. Is your engine running at a steady speed? If torsional vibration is present, your moment of inertia will affect it.

--
JHG

Moment of inertia has no effect? So a flywheel on a combustion engine is useless?
Adding an inertia will change the torsional resonance frequencies. I am not sure what side you mean by the "end" (this is usually the flywheel side) but either end, you will change the crankshaft natural frequency and this may cause a serious problem. It may be a good thing, but also cause the crankshaft to be operated at resonance conditions (which will probably break it)

rob768,

A piston engine does not run at absolutely steady speed. It accelerates when the piston fires, and it decelerates under load and under piston compression when the pistons are not firing. The flywheel affects this behavior.

--
JHG

nengg35mechie said:
How much momemt of Inertia will be felt at engine if we attach a disc of moment of inertia​ 0.4kgm²at end ?

I would say Zero , because of no unbalance Mass on axis of rotation

I just re-read your post. You can have a high moment of inertia even if your mass is perfectly balanced. The moment of inertia will affect your acceleration when you apply torque. If this is a servo system, you want a low moment of inertia relative to the motor. Otherwise, it will not respond reliably to feedback.

--
JHG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back