Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

How much time is needed to learn to build a structural model for a steel structure warehouse by RAM? 1

ccpe

Civil/Environmental
Apr 29, 2007
CA
I have been working as a drafter for an engineering firm for several years. Although I have structural engineering background, I haven't done any design work for a long time. My boss has promised me to give me some design work to do in the future. So I am studying how to use RAM through Youtube now. Can someone tell me how you study RAM to build models? Thank you in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm not sure that there's anything to be done other than to jump into a real project and learn on the fly. One of the big differences between drafting and modelling is the importance of node / member connectivity in modelling. That said, you should be fine with that given your structural background.

A worthwhile exercise to do in advance of your modelling project might be to familiarize yourself with all of the non-modelled inputs that will govern member design. Unbraced lengths for LTB and that kind of thing.

Using a tool to build models and using the tool to build models correctly to producing useful and meaningful results are separate skills.

This:
do-it-right_j2idz0.jpg

Versus:
90_hvtber.jpg

Make sure that you study both.

When you say RAM, I presume you mean RAM structural system. For YouTube videos, I'd recommend the Bentley official channel I prefer learning applications from official YouTube channels first as random videos don't often provide "quality insight".

The application also comes with tutorial documents which is similar to what you will learn from the Bentley YouTube channel. That alone should be a great starter activity for you as it covers both concrete and steel design modules.

, Thank you for your encouragement. I do have 5 years' design work experience (a long time ago and in different region) but the projects were much smaller. I am working closely with our engineers and kind of familiar with the codes and standards (just know where to find the loads, calculation methods, etc. hard to remember them all without doing real projects.) provided useful information. I did not know that Bentley also has a channel teaching Structural Analysis. They are not merely selling RAM software. I'll definite go to the channel and upgrade my knowledge base. Thank you very much.

Back