Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

How old is too old ? (to begin a BS in ME) ? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

noen

Mechanical
Dec 18, 2005
US
After a misdirected youth I'd like to go back to school and pursue a BS in either Mech. or Materials.
I'd be 38 at graduation. Too old? Be honest, I can take it.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

noen
In 4 years it will be 2010. If you start now you'll have a BS degree.
If you don't start in 4 years it will be 2010.

Senselessticker has some good points.

Honestly, I do not enjoy engineering entirely. I certainly don't like number crunching all day long and sitting in front of a monitor.

There are aspects that I love. I love manufacturing, product design, application engineering (helping others to solve product application problems), etc... However, there's not a whole lot of that in my area and I am not doing the things I would really like to be doing.

Keep that in mind. Try to be sure that the job opportunites that you want will be available to you.

Its not all the way that I thought it would be in that regard.

Ed

Think about getting a job at a firm with ME’s (if you don’t have it already). They may be able to get you money for school, and let you work part time. This will also get you experience, should you want to get your PE.

Its not late. There is part-time option while making money but unless you have discipline, chances are you may never finish. If you are married now, you may be divorced before you get your degree. I recommend full-time student and getting your degree as fast as you can (without working if financially feasible).

I agree with rday that maturity is an asset. You will be surprized to find yourself abosrbing more relevant information compared to "traditional students". Hence, better grades.

Once you are out, you can expect faster career advancement compared with younger graduates.

One of the posts mentions math. Most high schoolers who are afraid of math don't generally go into engineering. Even those who like math, some will be weeded out in the first few years of college because of math. Importance of math is a very good point. But in practice (I am a licensed structural engineer) math I use involve basic arithmetic and a bunch of empirical formula. If you can "pass" college level math, you will not sweat the math used in practice.

Regards.

Keep in mind with the Kreysig book, that it was something I hit, I think, in the 4th semester of college- it's not like they expected you to know anything resembling that when you started college.

I would guess that the #1 reason 38-year olds don't go to college is they're too busy putting food on the table for the family. If you can work it out, go for it.

When I was in college, out of perhaps a 100 ME students in my class, there were 2 I think that were older, already had families, etc. They took education seriously.

Thanks everyone, very encouraging. I'm going to brush up on my math and see if my brain still works... if it does I might just go for it!

You didn't say what it was that you were doing in your misguided youth. If you were doing something related to ME work, you might have no disadvantage at all, in fact you might have an advantage over 'wet behind the ears' young grads. If your prior experience didn't apply, then you have no advantage in that regard.

I once encountered a man who had gotten a ChE degree at an age similar to yours and he found an age ceiling working for a large corporation whereby the company favored younger workers (he got work but stagnated) for promotions because they had more years to give to the company as they moved up. He felt by passed and eventually left the profession and when I knew him, he was building houses.

I don't know if that was true, or just his perception but give it some thought.

rmw

Start now! If you don't 4 years will be gone in a flash and you will be kicking yourself saying 'if only'.

It was this kind of thinking that got me started on my degree. Plus make sure you are doing it for the right reasons (not just financial gain but self improvement as well) and make sure it is a subject matter you can enjoy.

My background and education is Instrument/Electrical yet I have gone on to do a Chemical Technology degree which I have found really interesting. If I had continued down the doing more I/E path I think it would have bored the hell out of me.

I agree very fully with many here that being older will be an advantage compared to the "kids" you will be surrounded with.

There a handful of "old guys" who were working on their EE degree the same time I was. MOST did well. SOME crashed and burned.

Generally the ones that did well: Had full support and understanding from their families, worked very part time (as opposed to trying to hold onto a full time jobs), were in a position where there was little financial burden while attended school.

Generally the ones who crashed and burned: Tried to hold onto their existing career by working too much, were single, tried too much to "party" with the young guys, and were under financial burdens.

If you have the support of your family, and the money is either there or available, and you treat the schooling like a Mon.-Fri 8-5 job. Then most likely, you will be successful. AND finding a good job afterward should be easy. Especially if you have contacts in the mech world already who respect you. Good luck with whatever you decide!!

I followed a traditional path but when I was in college, I had a friend who was at least 10 years older than me. He was married and his wife had a miscarriage and a still born. He returned to college after serving the US Navy and working a while to support his family. To my recollection, he wasn't a genius. Just a pretty-smart-average-guy. However, he did better than most young students because of his maturity. I'm sure he had less time to study compared to other students, joining the study group once in a long while. Yet, he was a very active participant in class and did exceptionally well.

I wouldn't worry about the maths and don't put too much emphasis on understanding the problems on your own right now. Nearly everyone needs to be helped along and that is what professors are for.

Regards,
Qshake
[pipe]
Eng-Tips Forums:Real Solutions for Real Problems Really Quick.

Man.. i thought you were older!

38 isnt old! if you want to be an engineer to be rich, i say forget about it. I am still jealous of my wife's attorney starting sallary. If you want to be one because you want to be one, then go for it.

go for it!!, you're not alone. Some of my best classmates were the big guys (35+). Sometimes, they where already parents and even grandfathers/grandmothers, they were mature and knew what they wanted in life. They gave me a big example in life. I was always worried about finishing college right in time (5yrs the max) and through them I saw that there shall be no rush, sometimes, life is not about having a major, but to enjoy it, and as "COEngineeer" stated above, if being and engineer is going to satisfy yourself, enjoy the college life, why not?!! Try it , even if your math skills are waaayy back, almost forgoten, give it a try, otherwise you will always be thinking in getting or not into college,

Regards, best whishes, do well!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back