Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

How the Climate Change Science Sausage Gets Made 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnTMan

Mechanical
Jan 22, 2005
US
This is an interesting article about how climate change science gets published (or not).

I don't know anything about the Free Press as a source, but the article and its author seems credible to me. You decide.

Article

Author Bio

Any further similar articles out there?

EDIT: After posting I found this image on a different site discussing the same article. Too good not to add:

Climate-Change-CNN-reports-the-weather-2020-480x501_d7ymxv.jpg

Heh :)

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

[quote="As part of President Biden’s goal of having 50 percent of all new vehicle sales be electric by 2030][/quote]

He's missing the point (again?)... unless the source of the power is non-fossil and is renewable, EVs can create a problem, too.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Tmoose said:
Because of President Biden’s leadership and historic investments, electric vehicle sales have tripled and the number of publicly available charging ports has grown by over 40 percent since he took office.

Do you think the Biden admin pushed for Tesla to be the standard charging system allowing for this 40% growth or are they just taking credit for something they noticed?

Don't you think it was Tesla's plan? If you're the first to build a good charging network then others will come to you to use it instead of trying to build their own. Tesla should know their cool-aid drinking supporter days are numbered and other MUCH bigger manufacturers will catch up and run their car manufacturing into the ground, so they need income to fall back on like the battery plant and the charging network.

That was the point. The only kool-aid drinkers are the ones that believe the Biden admin had anything to with charging ports growing 40% since he took office.

I understood that VW were required to build an EV charging grid across NA, as part of "diesel-gate" ... charging stations every 100 miles ??

"Hoffen wir mal, dass alles gut geht !"
General Paulus, Nov 1942, outside Stalingrad after the launch of Operation Uranus.

That was 2018. We got partial funding from VW via government agencies to replace the engines in our boats with engines that aren't good enough and will require replacement again within the next 2 years.

TugBoatEng said:
Do you think the Biden admin pushed for Tesla to be the standard charging system allowing for this 40% growth or are they just taking credit for something they noticed?

Sure, they're just taking credit for something Tesla did. Tesla did it to make a profit. To keep their customers happy. To keep up with demand for charging stations because they had so much success selling their cars, but needed infrastructure for charging.

Now, the government (in general, not necessarily the Biden administration) certainly has made it easier for Tesla over the years. With kick backs (in the form of tax breaks) to anyone who purchased an electric car and such. So, this isn't as delusional as a lot of the credit the government takes for things they tried to shut down..... Like Biden administration taking credit for an increase in domestic oil production despite the fact that the administration has done virtually everything they could to make oil production more difficult in the US.

"That was the point. The only kool-aid drinkers are the ones that believe the Biden admin had anything to with charging ports growing 40% since he took office."

So, there are no government tax breaks, kickbacks or incentives of any kind for building charging stations? Tesla certainly did it because they wanted to, but I'd bet there were some forms of government assistance.

The entire EV landscape as it exists is only made possible by OPM, if you ask me.

EDIT: In the US, I should say...

Yes, Other Peoples Money. My tax dollars subsidizing EV buyers tax credits. One trillion borrowed dollars to the Inflation Reduction Act. So on, so forth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back