Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to add threaded hole at center of round boss?

Status
Not open for further replies.

4mranch1

Aerospace
Jun 27, 2007
US
I have run into this situation before (Using SW2007) and have yet to figure out the best/easiest method to do this. I have a round boss created with revolve and now would like to add a threaded hole in the center of that boss. System will not allow choosing the center point using the revolve sketch. Can someone help me please?

Gary Ashby
Designer
UG/NX V8 Thru NX5
SolidWorks 2007
AutoCAD 2002 & 2008

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

use the pierce sketch restraint to attach the point to the revolve axis (sketch line) that is perpendicular to the plane that you sketched on.

-Dustin
Professional Engineer
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Yes, I am using the Hole Wizard and will not allow 0.00 distances off of the planes for location.

Gary Ashby
Designer
UG/NX V8 Thru NX5
SolidWorks 2007
AutoCAD 2002 & 2008

OK, what did you guys do? I tried it again with the Hole Wizard and after I selected the face for location and went to Positions and hovered the cursor over the center of the boss it selected the center and I now have the threaded hole I needed.

Thanks all for thinking happy thoughts for me.

Gary Ashby
Designer
UG/NX V8 Thru NX5
SolidWorks 2007
AutoCAD 2002 & 2008

4mranch1,
To locate the point onto the centre of the boss you first need to hover it over the edge of the boss. This will cause the centre and quadrants of the boss to become highlighted, and snap-to enabled.

[cheers]

Thanks CorBilmeyLimey and ctopher, it is working for me now. Switching back and forth between UG/NX and SolidWorks I tend to have a brain freeze on all things CADual at times. I will endeavor to remember this technique next time I come upon this requirement in a model.

Gary Ashby
Designer
UG/NX V8 Thru NX5
SolidWorks 2007
AutoCAD 2002 & 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back