How to apply fillet to surface model 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjjatpuresilica

Civil/Environmental
Oct 20, 2010
GB
Hi,

Can anyone please help me with the attached surface model. I want to apply a fillet between the bottom flange surface and the sloping side face.

I need some form of rip to allow for the fillet but do not know how to apply it to the model either before or after thickening.

Thank you.

cjj

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi cjj,

I believe most of the problems you are encountering is because of the curved sides of your transition. Is there a reason behind this?

I believe the easiest method to work with such a model is to create your bend relief manually, then fillet and thicken. See attached file.

HIH

Cheers,
EA

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=1dd24510-9b37-4f1b-9926-af8eed015d8a&file=New_Attempt_stitched_EA.ipt
I should also add that because of the curved sides it will not flatten but the model will look correct. Inventor cannot flatten deformed geometry.

You could develop a similar geometry if use create it face by face w/o using the loft command. You will have to pick a bend angle that is common to the top and the bottom 'squares' but it should be pretty close.

EA

Dear EngAddict,

Thank you so much for the ammended drawing. I was not aware the sides were curved just folded at their intersection.

Is this a consequence of lofting?

But your suggestion and kind adapation of my model is just the help I was looking for.

I do not suppose I could trouble you to show me how to model it in a way that I can produce a flat pattern also?

I would be most grateful.

cjj

I think your new model looks good but I would have only modeled half. You can pattern the part around in the assembly.

I have attached another version of your first model, this is what I mean by creating each side instead of lofting. You could use the face command for all sides but since I was working with the original model it was quicker to extend a surface. Notice how by using the face command on the flange it automatically adds the bend relief.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=22dfc953-66e7-4ee9-b121-062905d00ad2&file=New_Attempt_stitched_EA2.ipt
Dear EngAddict,

I am once more most grateful to you for your kind response.

I felt I needed to extrude the whole shape initially but after forming the rips on either side decided to leave the unrequired half in place to enable me to check all was well as I progressed the model.

As it is 1.30 am in the morning here, I will look in detail at your new model in the morning; if you do not mind and will come back to you afterwards.

Thank you, once again. I am as I said; most grateful.

cjj

Dear EngAddict,

I am afraid curiosity got the better of me and I had to have a peep at your model.

It is most devious and I wondered if I could use your FACE 1 procedure on my extruded model rather than using the flange option and then having to mitre etc. afterwards.

Thank you so much.

I will investigate your model more in the morning but as I said it is most cunning and most kind of you.

cjj

Dear EngAddict,

I have got to grips with my model and modified it in line with your kind suggestions and the main elements of your model.

Please take no notice of the actual flanges; I sketched anything just to check it worked OK!

The big thing for me is the way you have shown me to use the Extend and the Face options. They have radically altered my modelling for the good.

I would go so far to say that your model has enabled me to go forward now, whereas before it, I had been stuck for several months; trying every which way I could without success.

I am only sorry I didn't get your help when I first asked for it, instead of some of the arrogant and patronising replies I have received from other members.

If you think I have still not got my model quite right I would be most grateful to know your thoughts, otherwise thank you so much, your help has been absolutely tremendous and I really cannot thank you enough.

cjj

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=50162a24-76e5-41ab-b17e-4dcebfd9e59d&file=Extruded_Model_EngAddict_It_Works.ipt
Dear EngAddict,

I have attached my model duly tidied up.

I would greatly appreciate your scrutiny if you have the chance please.

Thank you once again and assuming the model is OK; it is a revelation compared with some of the 150 model attempts I have previously produced.

So a BIG THANKS once again from one novice to a kind expert.

cjj

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=c3f54ca3-056a-4eb5-8562-c0c583e76524&file=Extruded_Model_EngAddict_It_Works_2.ipt
Dear EngAddict,

I may have do one tweak to the model a little later down the line and wondered how I could contact you if need be?

Once again thank you so much. In just two replies you have turned 3 - 4 months of futile attempts into a stable model.

I am most grateful.

Christopher

Dear EngAddict,

I have come to model the solid cap for my folded component and wondered if you would be so kind as to advise me whether I have gone about this the right way.

In MDT I would have used one part to subtract from another and thus ensure a perfect fit.

You will see from the pics attached that I have projected the profile from the top of the component and used this with which to model the cap.

Your additional help would be so appreciated.
Thank you so much.

cjj

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=de32629d-261d-46e3-bc43-5cca98ae3266&file=Projected-Profile.jpg
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back